622Gillespie & Macpherson haplogroup R1b DNA results

  • lairdkinna
    Aug 15, 2009
      Gillespie.Macpherson.R1b.Aug.15.2009.xls

      I have just posted a new Excel chart in the FILE SECTION titled GILLESPIE DNA PROJECT RESULTS. The name of the file is listed above.

      I am also the admin. for the Macpherson DNA Project. The Macpherson project has been a bit under the radar for about 1 1/2 years as descendants of well-documented Macpherson lines were located by the clan historian and tested. Their lineages remaining private during that time. This past Spring I was able to post the lineages for most of the DNA kits on the website.

      The Macpherson clan chief and others from his cousin line were tested, as well as other more distant cousins.

      What emerged from their results is a definite DNA CORE for those families. Many of the other families that were tested also appear to belong to the same haplogroup and haplotype. The core of Clan Macpherson belongs to HAPLOGROUP R1B SNP BRANCH P312+ L21+.

      As with all surname projects there are other Macphersons that closely match other surnames and some that have no close matches at all.

      Recently someone asked me how closely connected the Gillespie DNA results were to those of the Macpherson DNA. I have prepared an Excel chart showing the Macpherson and Gillespie Haplgroup R1b results. The chart does not include other haplogroups as they are completely unrelated.

      The Gillespie families tested so far fall into a variety of haplogroups with no core family or haplogroup defining this surname.
      Additionally, although there are R1b Gillespies, there is no R1b Gillespie core and they are not a close match to the Macphersons.

      There is some commonality between the NW Irish R1b M222+ Gillespies and Macphersons, but nothing within a close time frame. I have also included the M222+ McKenzies in the chart as one McKenzie is an exact match to the M222+ modal. My own McKenzie family tested positive for M222 and they are in this chart so you can see how family haplotypes are formed by testing multiple distant cousins.

      Much of the research now being done within the projects centers on the Deep Clade Haplogroup testing. An extensive and expensive haplogroup project began after the administrator conference last March. This project hopes to find additional branches in the haplotree. New SNPs have been found which help to further define family groups and locate geographical areas for those families. We are testing some of those new SNPS for Gillespie Group 1. The test results appear to separate that haplogroup, I1, into a Scottish and English branch. So far our Gillespie Group 1 is matching the Scottish branch.

      I want to encourage everyone in the project to take the Deep Clade Haplogroup SNP test. This test is especially important for the R1b Gillespies as R1b is the largest group in western Europe and Britain. STR results, even to 67 markers, are not sufficient to establish a family line. Markers can mutate forwards and backwards giving us what appears to be a close match between unrelated families or to a modal, where a SNP test may show that they do not belong to the same branch.

      Connie McKenzie - Gillespie DNA Project Administrator