536Re: [GillespieDNAProject_discussion] Help - Family Tree Maker

  • blocks1hm@juno.com
    Jul 5, 2008

      What windows are you using?  If you are using XP try making FTM compatable with win 95 then try.   Just right click on the shortcut and when the next window comes up click make compatable with Win 95 and save

      I have put a disk in and right clicked to explore and then right clicked the files and told it to open with them MSWork If you do that make sure the little box at the bottom that says always open with is not checked.

      You will need to scrool down a little to see info and you probable won't have it all together because each individual file contains a different type of data and because it was on 2 disks but you can get some of it.

      Good Luck

      Blocks

      -- Earl Gillespie <earl1gillespie@...> wrote:

      My wife has recorded an extensive family archive on “Family Tree Maker”  v 5.0a for win 95.   As you can see by the age of the version, she’s used it quite a while – which is unfortunate because it was damaged when I had data transferred from and older PC drive to a newer, larger drive.   I am certain I have the data but the FTM software will not accept and repopulate the system with the .FBK or .FBC files.    Nothing I’ve done seems to restore the data, although I’m pretty certain it still exists.

      Is there anyone out there who has had a similar difficulty and can offer a solution?  We plan to go to the newest version of  “Legacy” but the prior years of data on FTW probably cannot be recreated from scratch.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanx,

      Earl Gillespie

      Learn about VA loan programs and benefits. Click now.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic