1098Tim Janzen at RootsTech

  • lairdkinna
    Feb 12, 2014

      Below is a repost from the Rootsweb Genealogy-DNA list.

      Please download the slide presentations created by Tim Janzen.  Tim has been doing a lot of research with atDNA.
      Connie

      On Feb 9, 2014, at 11:40 PM, tjanzen@... wrote:

      Dear All,
      I returned home from the RootsTech genealogy conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, this afternoon. Overall, I felt it was a very good conference. In my opinion, DNA testing was much more prominently discussed this year than at last year's RootsTech. Spencer Wells' keynote address was one of the factors for this. Ancestry.com devoted their entire lunch session to a discussion of DNA testing and their AncestryDNA product. There were more presentations about DNA testing at this year's conference than there were at last year's conference. I didn't hear any earth shattering announcements about DNA testing at RootsTech, but I did learn some things that may be of interest to members of this list including the following:

      1. Bennett Greenspan from Family Tree DNA announced that he expects an updated version of Population Finder to be available for customers who have done Family Finder within 6 to 8 weeks.
      2. Ken Chahine from Ancestry.com announced that their AncestryDNA product will have some type of feature that will cluster matches for us at some point in the near future. Ken was somewhat vague about how this will work, but it would appear that Ancestry.com will cluster our matches for us based on the DNA segment or segments that we share with these matches. This will be a step in the right direction in terms of providing greater usefulness when we are evaluating the pedigree charts of our Ancestry.com matches, but it is still not what we actually need, which is matching segment data for all of our matches and a chromosome browser we can use to compare ourselves to our matches.
      3. Ken Chahine announced that Ancestry.com has now sold at least 275,000 kits and is approaching 300,000 kits sold.
      4. Jake Byrnes and Ken Chahine told me that Ancestry.com has switched from using 5 million base pairs to 5 cMs as their basic criteria for a match in AncestryDNA. Ancestry.com apparently implemented this change in the recent past, apparently within the past several months.
      5. Ken Chahine announced that Ancestry.com is working very hard to improve the quality of the phasing of their customers' DNA data. Jake Byrnes told me that we can expect about 50% of our lowest confidence matches to disappear from our match lists in the near future as a result of the improvements in phasing. Analysis I did last year suggested that about 50% of Ancestry.com's lowest confidence matches are IBS. Ken and Jake confirmed that this is what they have found as well based on their internal analysis. Jake has found a way to eliminate about 95% of the lowest confidence matches that have a high probability of being IBS. Ken said that they have about 60,000 or so people in their database who have first degree relatives who are also in the database.
      6. Ken Chahine said that Ancestry.com is planning to do another update of their Ethnicity Estimate feature by the end of this year.
      7. After Kenny Freestone's presentation on the Ancestry.com AncestryDNA product, a member of the audience asked if Ancestry.com plans to share with its customers the pertinent information about the DNA segments that customers share with their matches. Kenny said that this is something that Ancestry.com is discussing internally, but he made no commitment that Ancestry.com would actually do that.

      If any of you are interested in reviewing either of the two presentations I gave at RootsTech, feel free to do so.

      My presentation " Using Third Party Tools to Help You Get More from Your DNA Test Results" may be downloaded from

      and my presentation " Advanced Techniques for Use of Autosomal DNA Tests to Break through Genealogical Brick Walls" may be downloaded from
      Several of the graphics in my presentations are courtesy of CeCe Moore.