1051FTDNA BIG Y SNP test

  • lairdkinna
    Nov 12, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      I have just pulled some comments from the Yahoo R1b U106 list re the new comprehensive SNP test offered by FTDNA. Charles Moore is an admin for the R1b U106 project and also a member of the ISOGG haplogroup SNP team.

      The BIG Y is now the FTDNA replacement test for the very, very, very old and outdated DEEP CLADE HAPLOGROUP TEST. GENO 2.0 is also outdated. Some of us have jumped over to BritainsDNA and ordered their CHROMO2 test which is better than GENO 2.0, but has less SNPs and is less expensive than the new BIG Y. Of course the most expensive SNP test is the Full Y.

      The ISOGG link below provides a comparison of the various tests. Read up on each, follow list comments and make an informed decision on which tests to purchase. I'll update info when I find out more.

      To my knowledge only one kit in our Gillespie project has ordered CHROMO2 and that kit is in Group 2. I am not aware of any Gillespies that have ordered the FULL Y. So far, no Gillespies have ordered the BIG Y. As BIG Y is ordered through FTDNA all admins are informed of any test purchases. I don't know about GENO 2.0 until there is a result transfer. I don't know about CHROMO2 or FULL Y orders unless testees tell me.

      Cheers,
      Connie

      BELOW FROM YAHOO R1B U106 LIST --

      Essentially, Big Y should take nearly everyone other than extremely close relatives, off in your own personal direction.  The question will be how you match up with others much more distant, in order to form a branch arrangement.  A bunch of new SNPs for you, in and of themselves, will be useless.

      This is essentially what Bennett meant, I think, when he said "we think that is ISOGG's job".

      Be careful what you wish for.

      So, what each Big Y tester in our group is going to want to do, is to check Don's quickly growing list, as we go along, and find which other person on his Big Y list is closest to you.  When both results arrive, we are going to need to compare the results of you and your closest other tester, somehow, to see which SNPs you share, and which are your own.

      Same concept as FG.  The best thing to do is going to be to pair up with someone else in your same branch group.

      The test is somewhat over-advertised as including 25,000 known SNPs.  But essentially, forget that, because it is not its purpose.  The purpose is to discover NEW SNPs on YOUR line of descent.  So, essentially it is WTY TIMES 30.  It is not as all inclusive as an FG test, and we are concerned about what sort of Analysis product will be produced, which will be critical to our ability to figure out what it all means.  Otherwise, this test could result in complete chaos.

      My guess is that someone will invent a tool to analyze these results, once the results arrive.  Right now, we are all shooting in the dark.  And of course, the sale deadline will expire before any results arrive.  Isn't that clever?

      Well, the price is right.  As long as the result actually is something other than a sea of useless unmatchable SNPs, that might not necessarily meet quality standards.

      So, there are a lot of issues, as has been discussed already over the last several days, and I doubt if very many of them will be resolved before December 1, but we will all have to do our best to keep everyone informed.

      FG is more expensive, although it could possibly become less expensive over time.  But at least with that one, and thanks significantly to the Analysis reporting that Greg developed for them, we know we are getting a consistent quality comparable product, that Don and I and others actually know how to analyze.

      With Big Y, we are just going to have to see what happens.

      But as for frustrated people with a parade of negative SNP test results, those days are over.  You WILL have new SNPs on Big Y or FG.  That is a near certainty.  Whether they are Quality SNPs, or whether we can figure out how to organize them into a coherent branch system and show you who you are closest to, THAT is another question, and THAT is actually the REAL question, the one that really matters.

      Charles