1045Re: [GillespieDNAProject_discussion] 2nd Gillespie Gap/Turkey Cove NC testee

  • T. Dennis Glazener
    Oct 15, 2013
      Thanks Connie, I thought for a minute that the William Gillespie you mentioned might have been William Gillespie Jr that left the George's Creek area of SC and kind of disappeared but the ages don't match up. Thanks for the information.
      Take care,
      Dennis

      On 10/14/2013 7:04 PM, lairdkinna@... wrote:

      Hi Dennis,

      Henry didn't fight in the Rev. War on either side. Supposedly he remained "neutral." According to the book below, published in 1881, Henry was poor, but was a neighbor to a "rich" Tory, Col. Wofford. The book says that Henry's son David married a daughter of Col. Wofford.  It also says that Henry was "a hardy Irishman" who had been in America for about 12 years (so if we go by the 1780 date for the Battle of Kings Mnt. then Henry arrived around 1768 or so). The book also says that Henry dc 1812 in Turkey Cove and his son David d. 1859 in Turkey Cove age abt. 92.  The book also said that David was about 14 at the time of the King's Mountain Battle and the info about the Gillespies in Turkey Cove and their encounter with the mountain men came from William A. McCall of North Cove, grandson of David Gillespie. The 14 yr age of David Gillespie at the time of the war also matches his DOD of 1859 at abt. 92 yrs. -- so born @ 1766. So, depending on the precise date that Henry arrived in America, David could have been born in Ireland or America. Researchers likely have more precise data.

      Click on the book link below. Then click PREVIEW BOOK. On the left side of the page you will see a block for SEARCH THIS BOOK. Type in Gillespie, Turkey Cove or any other place/person you want.

       http://books.google.com/books/about/King_s_Mountain_and_its_heroes.html?id=6lv28UVzqUIC

      The other family you asked about were the Gillespies of Buffalo Presbyterian Church. We have only tested one descendant and he isn't a match to any other Gillespies. In fact this kit isn't a match to ANYONE at 67 and 37 markers, has only one match at 25 markers and not a great many 12 marker matches. We certainly need another descendant of this line. He is Hap R1b but won't be L21 as he has too few matches. No SNP testing has been done on this kit.

      R1b M269>? http://ncgenweb.us/nc/guilford/buffalo-presbyterian-members-part-1

      90086

      Col.Daniel Gillespie 1743-1829 m Margaret Hall>Rbt

      Okay, I'm getting lost in books and links and probably rambling now!

      Connie

      ---In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, <gillespiednaproject_discussion@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Connie,
      Glad to hear that Henry Gillespie has been proven to be in group I. Just curious if what a NC forest ranger told me is correct or not. He could not remember the Gillespie man's name that the Gap was named for but he did say that it was a Tory family of Gillespie's. Can you confirm this?

      Also there John and Daniel Gillespie (brothers) of the Buffalo Creek area of Rowan/Guildford county NC that were officers in the Continential Army. That keep getting mixed up with my gunmaker John Gillespie line. Supposedly they both were witnesses to the surrender of Corvallis's army. Do you know what group they fall into?

      Thanks for any info you might have.
      Dennis Glazener

      On 10/14/2013 3:24 PM, lairdkinna@... wrote:

      I am thrilled to report that we now have a 111 marker Y-DNA kit heading to a 2nd descendant of Henry Gillespie of Turkey Cove, McDowell/Burke Co. NC. Gillespie Gap along the Blue Ridge Hwy. was named for him.

      The first descendant of this family line is FTDNA kit 219964. His results placed him into Gillespie Group 1 - haplogroup I2b L126.  Hopefully, the results of this 2nd kit will match and we can confirm this line. I've waited a long time for this :-)

      I have added a few links/info below on the dynamics of the family of Henry Gillespie of Turkey Cove, NC and the other Gillespie Group 1 kits that are closest to his family geographically at that time.

      My own Group 1 ancestor is Thomas Gillespie b 1719 (wife Naomi Thompson) who resided near Millbridge, Rowan Co. NC (close to Salisbury).  He and his family are buried in Thyatira Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Millbridge.

      I used MapQuest to show the route from Millbridge to Marion, McDowell Co. NC (for Turkey Cove), then to Gillespie Gap and on up to Limestone, Washington Co. TN - the home of Col. George Gillespie and the Over The Mountain Men.

      At this time, we still don't know the common ancestor of these three lines. I still haven't been able to determine the parents of my own Thomas Gillespie b. 1719 or confirm any siblings.

      Many of the family lines in Group 1 claim the Ulster area of Ireland as their migration point, with an unknown location in Scotland whispered about. Maybe one of these years .....

      Hope the links work,
      Cheers,
      Connie

      I2b M223>M284>L1195>L369/L137/L126 (PAGES00052-) Isles-Scot, Kittler 16-15 (Grp 1)

      219964

      Wm Gillespie>Marshall Lafayette 1840 RabunCoGA-GAP

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overmountain_Men

      http://www.mapquest.com/#f559e40147d132f2bb70a9d0

      1. Millbridge, Rowan Co. NC – Thomas Gillespie b1719/Naomi Thompson
      2. Marion, McDowell Co. NC ( Turkey Cove) Henry Gillespie
      3. Gillespie Gap – named for Henry Gillespie of Turkey Cove (adult during 1780s)
      4. Limestone, Washington Co. TN – Col. George Gillespie b1735

      http://www.carolana.com/NC/Early_Statehood/nc_statehood_1800_state_of_franklin.html

      --
      Always remember: The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

      --
      Always remember: The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic