1037CHROMO2 RAW Y DNA test

  • lairdkinna
    Oct 6, 2013
      Hi All,

      I am writing today to inform everyone about the option of SNP testing through BritainsDNA, ScotlandsDNA and IrelandsDNA. They are all the same company - just a different marketing target.

      I would also like to know if any of our Gillespies have ordered CHROMO2. I think it would be good for us to keep a list of testees or Gillespie family subgroups that have ordered this test so we can anticipate learning more from their results.  If any group is thinking of ordered CHROMO2, you might consider pooling funds to have one testee from each Gillespie subgroup order this test as a $ saver. My R1b U106 Dunn family group has just done this. One member of our Dunn group ordered GENO 2.0 last year, so we will be able to compare the results of GENO 2.0 with CHROMO2 and hopefully a more downstream SNP will emerge.

      CHROMO2 has all the SNPs that are offered by GENO 2.0 at National Geographic in collaboration with FTDNA. CHROMO2 has an additional year worth of SNPs that were found after the GENO 2.0 chip was finalized. CHROMO2 also has thousands of additional SNPs that have been discovered in some select European population groups.

      The Yahoo R1b L21 discussion list has just reported that some of the R1b L21 testees that ordered CHROMO2 are beginning to receive their results and that they look promising.  Hopefully, the same will be true for all haplogroups.

      At this point, there is no option to download CHROMO2 results to FTDNA - maybe that will change. Each haplogroup branch has very experienced DNA hobbists that will accept the RAW data for analysis and comparison as they have been doing with GENO 2.O.  The advances in the haplogroup trees have been accomplished by the testees and the hobbist analysts and not by NG or FTDNA.

      The reason we push SNP testing is to gain more information about the likely early migration point of our ancestors in Britain and Europe. With each new downstream SNP the haplogroup tree finds a finer and more exclusive branch with other surnames. By narrowing that branch and comparing the locations of the ancestors of those different surnames, we come closer to pinpointing migration points and the location of the original mutation of that most downstream SNP. This is how we search for the history of our ancestors in the absence of document trails - especially in the pre-surname era.

      Cheers,
      Connie

      http://www.britainsdna.com/

      http://www.britainsdna.com/products

      Raw Y $199 USD

      Only for men, the Raw Y test is for those with prior experience in genetic ancestry testing. You will get tested for over 15,000 Y Chromosome markers from our new Chromo2 chip - which includes all markers from ISOGG plus many more that are not yet in the public domain - but with no interpretation or historical narrative.

      Once your results are ready, you will be able to download a complete list of the markers found to be positive in your Y Chromosome, as well as those that are negative. This will allow you to conduct your own research and compare your results to other members of the same surname or haplogroup project.