Photo identification

  • cj
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
      For years I have thought that I have a picture of my great-father
      Herman Jacob's family in Westfalia, because HIS name and address (in
      St. Louis) was on the back of the photograph. His wife, Annie Wirth,
      he met in St. Louis, although she was from the town of Knittlingen in
      Württemberg.

      Could those of you with more German expertise than I, take a look at
      the photograph, and see if there are any clues to tell me whether it
      was taken in Westfalia or in Württemberg? Also perhaps you will
      recognize someone in this photograph. It's been a mystery to me for
      many years.

      I posted it at the Dead Fred website.
      http://www.deadfred.com/surnamePersR_05.php?ID=39365

      Thank you,
      Cindy Jacob
    • Gerald Perschbacher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hello, Cindy--
        There is no hint I see in the picture than tells me exactly where it was taken.  The buildings are typical German construction for the late 1800s.  I conclude that this was taken in a big city, however, since villages often had smaller stuctures (not as high).  It is easy to assume that this was the back yard of someone pictured in the group. However, there is a fence.  And there are people in the window of the building.  If they wererelatives, they would not have been looking from the window. Therefore, it could be that there was an open area of park next to that building,which could have been public land.

        The style of clothing is not regionaly based as much as "generally acceptable" for the era.  This is to be expected for a formal photo. And this is, indeed,a formal photo.

        Fortunately, there are clusters in this picture.  You can make some assumptions based on age and who is standing with whom.  Each little cluster might be headed by a brother or sister and their family.  The oldest people (man & woman seated near center) were probably the oldest generation shown.

        The little children are being held so that they did not move for the carmera.  It took a few seconds to take the picture.

        Your best clue to the family connection is the writing on the back.  This picture may or may not include your direct ancestor.  It may have been a family picture BEFORE he left for America, or a family picture that was sent to him later.  I suspect it was a wedding anniversary picture of the eldest couple, which you might be able to pin down if you had their wedding date.

        Gerald Perschbacher

      • washmokatie@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008

          Cindy:

          Not sure where it was taken, but it reminded me of a photo my family had for years, didn't know who they were and we kind of thought they were funny looking.  Of course, years later and asking many cousins, we found they were relatives from Alsace Lorraine.  We evenutally even met some of the "kids" from the picture who were then in their 80's.

          Keep looking, the answer may come.

          Kathy