Re: [GermanSpecialinterest] Translation Help

  • washmokatie@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2010
      Hi Brenda:

      I have a couple suggestions for you:

      There is a Yahoo Groups site called Translation, where you can scan your document and have real people who read German (and old script German) for free. You have to follow a few rules to get set up but it is easy.  Look under Groups on Yahoo and search for Translation.

      Or I know several people who can translate it for a fee. One being my German teacher and the other being a friend who lives in Germany.

      Or I'm not sure is there is anyone on this list who can read German hopefully they will post a response and you can scan it and post here.

      Good luck and let me know if you need any more help from me.

      Kathy W.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2010
        I made a mistake it is TRANSCRIBE GROUP not translation.  Sorry.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2010
          Hello germanspecialinterest Yahoo Group,

          I contacted Brenda offline and offered to assist in getting this letter translated without a
          fee. She transcribed the text and sent it to me. I got help from two German speakers, one of them being Scott in Special Collections who translated one sentence for me. Since I myself am studying German at the German School Association, I decided to try to translate it myself while awaiting a response from the German speakers. I used an online dictionary and made a vocabulary list of the words in the letter and came up with a version of a translation which I could compare with what was dictated to me by the person translating. Brenda gave me permission to post the letter and the translation. Here is the translation provided by the
          German speakers. The sentence in blue was translated by Scott.

          Evangelisch-Lutherische   Landeskirche Sachsens

          Regionalkirchenamt Dresden

          Genealogische Anfrage

          Genealogical Inquiry

          Ihren schriftlichen Auftrag zur Ahnenforschung haben wir vom Landratsamt Meißen am 20. Mai 2010 erhalten.

          We have gotten your written order for genealogical research from the office of the Head of the Land Kreis (County Commissioner) on 20 May 2010.

          In unserer Dienststelle ist eine zentrale Lesestelle eingerichtet, in der die Filme der verfilmten Kirchenbücher (seit der Reformationszeit) bis 1875 nach rechtzeitiger Terminvereinbarung selbst eingesehen warden können.

          In our service area (or department) there is a properly equipped reading post where, by appointment, you yourself may view the films of the Church Books from the Reformation up to 1875.

          Verfilmt sind die Amtshandlungsregister des früheren Kirchenbuchamts Dresden und die Amtshandlungsund Kirchstuhlregister der Kirchgemeiden in den Kirchenbezirken Meißen und Flöha.

          The records of the former Dresden church record office and records and pew registers of congregations in the Meißen and Flöha ecclesiastical districts have been microfilmed.

          Aus Ihrer Anfrage geht leider nicht hervor, in welchen Kirchenbüchern welcher Kirchgemeinde recherchiert warden soll.

          From your inquiry it is unfortunately not clear which Church Books should be researched.

          Sollte es seine Meißner Kirchgemeinde sein, so bitten wir Sie, uns auch diese ggf. Mitzuteilen.

          Should it be his Meissner parish, we ask you to also give us this information if applicable.

          Entsprechend unserer Gebührenordnung, sind für schriftliche Auskünfte je angefangene halbe Stunde 15 Euro zu erheben zuzüglich der Rückvergrößerung am Lese-Drucker je Kopie 1,50 Euro.

          Our fee for research is 15 Euro per half hour or any portion thereof. Copies are 1.50 Euro each

          Die schriftliche Recherche wird in diesem Fall sehr umfangreich sein.

          The written research will, in this case, be very extensive.

          Bitte beachten Sie, dass max. zwei Stunden für eine schriftliche Anfrage zur Recherche zur Verfügung stehen.

          Please be advised that a maximum of two hours is available for written research.

          Um schriftliche Rückäußerung wird gebeten, ob Sie weiterhin an einer Recherche unsererseits festhalten gegen einen entsprechenden Gebührenbescheid.

          A written reply is requested stating whether you still want us to do the research at the stated fee.

          Für Rückfragen stenen wir Ihnen selbstverständlich gern zur Verfügung.

          If you have additional questions, of course we will gladly respond.

          Mit freundlichen Grüßen

          With friendly greetings

          I.A. Marzin

          Sachbearbeiterin

          Case handler or case worker (the "in" at the end of the word denotes a female case worker).

          Note: ggf. is an abbreviation of "gegebenfalls" which means "if applicable" or "if required."

          Pat
          P.S. The German speaker gave me the translation orally and I typed as it was spoken.
          I thinks it's close enough and I hope there are no major errors.

          To: GermanSpecialinterest@yahoogroups.com
          From: brenda6@...
          Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 02:21:07 +0000