More Info for Marlo's on Marienberg

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2010
      Carol

      Our fantastic G-SIG researcher, Marlene Olson has sent me the following info she found after seeing your post previously. Hopefully, this will also help you. Great job, Marlene!

      Carol:
      I hope, you can use something here.
      Make it a good day!

      Marlene
      ----------------------
      Search goal: Maienfeld bei Magdeburg
      _____________
      I have a map of Prussia of 1648. (handout)
      Between Hannover and Belgium is town of Magdeburg.

      After thirty year war that area became Magdeburg area. That also had the town of same name.
      To see a map, of approx. same thing....
      Internet, I used "1648 map of Prussia" and the return was Map of Prussia 1648 - 1795 Territorial Expansion.

      Result: Magdeburg was an area that probably had many towns. Records may have been destroyed during thirty year war, and after. Since your people were born about 1795 to 1797 that area may still have been Magdeburg. Later by information given it may have become Sachsen-Anhalt area with state capital Magdeburg. These areas were called electorate,dutchy, kreis (kingdom), etc. Not sure what Magdeburg was called.
      ______________________
      familysearch.org
      Jakob Gebhardt marr. in Minden on 14 Feb 1819 to Marie Dorothee Christine Voelkening.
      _______________________
      igi.de (Batch number)

      Jacob Gebhard (22 yr) marr 14 Feb 1819 Sankt Simeonis Evangelic Minden Stadt, Westfalen,
      Preussen to Marie Volkening (24 yr)
      Batch number: M957802 / FHL 0470102 (1801 -1853)/
      Result: Jacob born 1797 and Marie born 1795.

      Postal code: 32423/ Village: Minden/ Muncipality: Minden/ District: Minden-Luebbecke/
      County: Detmold/ State: NW/Region: Westfalen/ Church: St. Simeons/ Denomination: Evangelical / Kind: H (German word for marriage = heirat)/Period: 1801 - 1853/ Sign: M
      (english word for marriage) / Batchnumber: M957802/ Link: FHL 0470103
      ______________________
      familysearch.com
      Pedigree Chart IGI Pedigree View page

      Jacob Bernhard Gebhart b. abt 1805 Germany...Saxony... Sachsen
      marr. about 1830 at Harsleben, Magdeburg... Saxony.... Sachsen
      Marie Dorothee Rothenberg b. abt 23 April 1808 at Croppenstedt, Magdeburg...Sachsen
      d. 13 May 1871 Wegeleban, Magdeburg, Sachen
      bur. 16 May 1871 same place

      This maybe relative of yours since families went by second name and most of children
      had same first name.
      ____________________________
      Other towns in Magleburg that I found:
      Croppenstedt
      Wegeleban
      Erzbistum
      Herzogum
      Hirschleite
      Hirschstein
      Judenstein
      Lengfeld
      Marienberg/ = Forcheim & Boden & Gebirge, Sachen, Germany/
      Kuehnhaide
      Lauterbach

      (Note: Check in Sachsen-Anhalt for these towns, where the old records may have went.)
      ___________________________
      Also, on Western German Auto bann map off to right side of map.
      Town of Magdeburg, Demokratische Republic, East Germany
      found SW of Berlin and Potsdam.
      _____________________________
    • Carol and Joe Marlo
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2010
        Hello, Kathy,

        Thank you so much for your message which was awaiting me this morning.  There is so much data in it that it'll take me a while to absorb it all.  Meantime, many thanks to you and to Marlene for all the time and effort involved.  The cc on this is my brother and partner in research.  We've been looking for Jakob for some time, and this is a big help.  The data on Jakob and Marie Dorothee Christine is exact, and I agree totally with your observation on the use of the last of the Christian names as the one used in the family.  We have a Johann Jakob Friedrich and a Heinrich Wilhelm Julius, and each of these always went by the last of their Christian names, and Jakob's wife was always called Christine.

        Hope you all had a good Easter.

        Best wishes, Carol

        Our fantastic G-SIG researcher, Marlene Olson has sent me the following info she found after seeing your post previously. Hopefully, this will also help you. Great job, Marlene!

        Carol:
        I hope, you can use something here.
        Make it a good day!

        Marlene