New Here and Question

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
      I am conducting genealogy and would like to get copies of parish records from Kalkriese, Engter and Goedestorf in parish of Heiligenfelde from the 1870's and before. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about this before I start Googling?

      Brenda in Seattle
    • Carol Feldman
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
        Hi Brenda,
        You may want to check out the Mormon website. The address is www.familysearch.org.  Click on Library, then click on place search. Type the city and country and re-type different area's if certain cities don't come up with anything. When you get a hit, the film information will be available for you to borrow films from Salt Lake City's library. To get films you will need to go to a Mormon Family Center or to a library that can order the films.

        Have fun searching this fun site.
        Carol
        from, St. Louis

      • washmokatie@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
          Welcome Brenda:

          I have checked the microfilms from LDS Family History Centers and they have church records from 1808-1874 for Heiligenfelde and Engter.  I didn't find the other 2 towns but perhaps some one else on the list will have a suggestion.  Have you used LDS microfilms before?

          Kathy W.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
            I was surprised to get such a speedy response as there did not seem to be much activity in this group lately.
            No, I have never even used any microfilm before but I know that where I am at with my ancestor search, it is time now.

            Re. the LDS microfilm, is it printed info. or do you actually get to see the handwritten parish entries?

            I intend on ordering some microfilm of Nebraska newspapers at my Seattle Public Library. Sounds like I will also be ordering some from LDS too.

          • KDAUBEL@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2009
              Brenda,

              While this does not take you to records, I thought that I may suggest the following link.

              This web site can be used to find places in various countries.  It is based on Google Maps with additional features.  I have searched for Heiligenfelde and this link is the results.  You can zoom in and out.  You will find Goedestorf nearby.

              Other find on the Internet

              Karl
              in Missouri

              Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE with TaxACT.
            • Brenda
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2009
                THANKS Karl. I find the aerial map very interesting.

                Brenda

                --- In GermanSpecialinterest@yahoogroups.com, KDAUBEL@... wrote:

                > Brenda,
                >
                > While this does not take you to records, I thought that I may suggest the
                > following link.
                >
                > _http://www.geonames.org/maps/google_52.883_8.867.html_
                > (http://www.geonames.org/maps/google_52.883_8.867.html)
                >
                > This web site can be used to find places in various countries. It is based
                > on Google Maps with additional features. I have searched for Heiligenfelde
                > and this link is the results. You can zoom in and out. You will find
                > Goedestorf nearby.
                >
                > Other find on the Internet
                >
                > _http://www.ingenweb.org/infranklin/pages/tier2/immigration5.html_
                > (http://www.ingenweb.org/infranklin/pages/tier2/immigration5.html)
                >

                > Karl
                > in Missouri
                > **************Hurry! April 15th is almost here. File your Federal taxes FREE
                > with TaxACT.
                > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220239440x1201335902/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.taxact.com%2F08tax.asp%3Fsc%3D084102950001%26p%3D82)

              • Kathy
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 11, 2009
                  Brenda:

                  I have just found out that the church books for Engter and Kalkreise are in the Osnabrueck Genealogical Society's library. I will be traveling to Germany and visiting at this library next month, and if you want to send me some names and dates I can look up a few things for you.

                  Kathy W.

                  -- In GermanSpecialinterest@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda" <brenda6@...> wrote:

                  > I am conducting genealogy and would like to get copies of parish records from Kalkriese, Engter and Goedestorf in parish of Heiligenfelde from the 1870's and before. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about this before I start Googling?
                  >
                  > Brenda in Seattle

                • Brenda
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12, 2009
                    WOW, Kathy. This is fantastic news and so generous of you! Shall I post the names and dates here on this message board or e-mail you privately?
                    I am at Brenda6@....

                    --- In GermanSpecialinterest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy" <washmokatie@...> wrote:

                    > Brenda:
                    >
                    > I have just found out that the church books for Engter and Kalkreise are in the Osnabrueck Genealogical Society's library. I will be traveling to Germany and visiting at this library next month, and if you want to send me some names and dates I can look up a few things for you.
                    >
                    > Kathy W.
                    >

                    > -- In GermanSpecialinterest@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda" <brenda6@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am conducting genealogy and would like to get copies of parish records from Kalkriese, Engter and Goedestorf in parish of Heiligenfelde from the 1870's and before. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about this before I start Googling?
                    > >
                    > > Brenda in Seattle

                  • Kathy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
                      Hi Brenda:

                      I am finally home from my trip to Germany and had a wonderful, wonderful time. The weather couldn't have been better and I saw a lot of great things. A little self-promotion, you can read about my adventures at my blog:

                      http://familytreetours.blogspot.com

                      I wanted to tell you I found a few things for you at the Osnabrueck Library which if you send me your mailing address (offline) I will send you. I also met with Udo Thörner, who we met to visit the Varus battlefield in Kalkriese and he said that he had already been in touch with you? He is the expert for that area so I guess you probably have info from him. Anyway, I think you will be pleased.

                      Kathy W.