Gifts for Germany

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
      Hi List Members:

      I have a weird question for you. As some of you may know I am taking a
      group to Germany in a few weeks (late Sept.) Most of the group are
      going to visit their ancestral hometowns and in some cases, meeting
      relatives. Several people have asked me what kind of "gifts" they
      should bring to thank them for their hospitality, and I don't have a
      lot of suggestions and wondered if anyone has some ideas for me to pass
      on. Thanks in advance for your help.

      Kathy W.
    • Gerald Perschbacher
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
        Kathy, in G-SIG FORUM #29 I wrote the following which should provide some ideas for your friends--

        Gerry Perschbacher

        Little Gifts for Germans ‘Over There’

        Heading to Germany?  Sending a thank-you box to a friend who helped with research?  Then consider some options.

        + If your German friend can read English, give books on German-American history.  +  Find topical German books printed in America (select a subject to their liking; these can be found at used book stores or sales).

        + Old hymnals (in good shape!) make a nice gift. +  Make copies of documents relating to their German emigrants who settled in the U.S.A.

        + Consider books dealing with their people in the New World (even genealogical books with lists).  + Lapel pins are prized by some Germans.

        +  Items made by German immigrants in the New World are liked, too.

        + Very simply send some current maps of the area where your ancestor settled (reference material).
                  If you are hosted for a week or two, surprise your host family with a little something every day or every other day.  Germans are not necessarily collectors nor do they crave to own like many Americans, but they adore the spirit of receiving.

        I have a weird question for you. As some of you may know I am taking a
        group to Germany in a few weeks (late Sept.) Most of the group are
        going to visit their ancestral hometowns and in some cases, meeting
        relatives. Several people have asked me what kind of "gifts" they
        should bring to thank them for their hospitality, and I don't have a
        lot of suggestions and wondered if anyone has some ideas for me to pass
        on. Thanks in advance for your help.

        Kathy W.

      • Doug & Judy Broleman
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
          When we visited our family a few years ago, they were especially interested in Route 66 and children enjoyed anything related to cowboys and indians.

          Judy Broleman

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
            Gerry & Judy:

            Thanks so much for the ideas for gifts. I will pass it on and use some
            of the ideas myself.

            Kathy