      From: mikemctoo <shamale@...>
      Subject: [GermanSpecialinterest] Abbreviation from baptismal entry
      To: GermanSpecialinterest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 1:31 PM

      I recently received a letter in response to one I wrote to a church in Glauchau, Saxony, requesting transcriptions of entries from the St. Georgen Church churchbook. I am in the process of translating the letter into English, and have been stumped by an abbreviation. I have checked numerous sources available to me to determine the meaning of the abbreviation but have thus far come up empty.

      The full entry written in German is as follows:

      *1833/8 8.1 Carl Hermann 9tes Kind (Geb.Sch. 30.4.50)

      the * is a symbol indicating that this is a baptismal entry, 1833 is the year, the 8 after the / indicates it is the 8th entry for the year, 8.1 indicates the baptism (or most likely the birthdate) of the child took place January 8th. The child's name is Carl Hermann [Härtel], and he was the 9th child. It is the abbreviations in the parenthesis that have me stumped, or at least one of them. I am pretty sure that the Geb. is an abbreviation for geboren or 'born' and the 30.4.50 is a date, April 30, 1850, however the abbreviation Sch. I cannot figure out.

      Was wondering if anyone on the board may have run across this abbreviation before and knows its meaning?

      Thank you.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic