GD26-ITYJ - The Magic Roundabout

  • Alasdair McWilliam
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1 1:41 AM
      This was an easy find on the way to work, near the
      centre of Swindon, about 150m (guess) from one of
      Swindon's famous landmarks - The Magic Roundabout.

      Swindon is full of roundabouts absolutely everywhere
      but this is the famous one that people know of. This
      is a multi-mini roundabout designed by the Road
      Research Laboratory some 30 years ago to cope with
      traffic converging from five directions. It consists
      of one large roundabout in the centre surrounded by 5
      smaller roundabouts at each of the junctions. Allowing
      travel either clockwise round the outside or
      anti-clockwise round the centre and still works
      surprisingly well today. Take a look at
      http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm - NB. It
      gets much much busier than those photos would suggest!

      Got to within 6m of the actual dashpoint when I
      encountered a flowerbed with some pink roses and was
      not going to proceed any further in the typical
      British Summertime rain. The flowerbed is in the
      grounds of Drove Primary School near the OUT exit with
      accompanying Blue Gates. Very quiet around as the
      school has presumably broken up for the summer break.

      Alasdair

    • dave.hinns@quantel.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1 2:57 AM
        Rude Word - I was heading for this on the way home!

        Alasdair McWilliam <almcw@...>
        01/08/2003 09:41
        Please respond to Geodashing

        To: geodashing@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [Geodashing] GD26-ITYJ - The Magic Roundabout

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To participate in Geodashing you must agree to read
        and abide by all terms and conditions specified at
        http://Geodashing.org/terms.htm and
        http://Geodashing.org/disclaimer.htm .
        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

      • David Brew
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1 6:05 AM
          Hemel Hempstead in Herts. (north of London) also aquired one at the
          same time. I remember that they asked everyone to leave home on the
          sunday as though it were a week day, heading towards work or school,
          to give the system a work-out before it was officially opened for use
          the next day. Absolute chaos but after a couple of days eveyone got
          used to it and it works just fine.

          cheers
          David

          --- In Geodashing@yahoogroups.com, Alasdair McWilliam <almcw@y...>
          wrote:
          > This was an easy find on the way to work, near the
          > centre of Swindon, about 150m (guess) from one of
          > Swindon's famous landmarks - The Magic Roundabout.
          >
          > Swindon is full of roundabouts absolutely everywhere
          > but this is the famous one that people know of. This
          > is a multi-mini roundabout designed by the Road
          > Research Laboratory some 30 years ago to cope with
          > traffic converging from five directions. It consists
          > of one large roundabout in the centre surrounded by 5
          > smaller roundabouts at each of the junctions. Allowing
          > travel either clockwise round the outside or
          > anti-clockwise round the centre and still works
          > surprisingly well today. Take a look at
          > http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm - NB. It
          > gets much much busier than those photos would suggest!
        • Servman
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1 6:15 AM
            Living in North America (where there are only 8 traffic circles for the
            whole continent!) I only had to negotiate one in my life (the Dorval Circle
            in Montreal). It's not even a real circle... there are 6 traffic lights to
            go through in a complete rotation.

            Having seen real ones in action they seem fairly simple to use and a good
            idea... now I look at this one.. WTF???

            Ian

            > This was an easy find on the way to work, near the
            > centre of Swindon, about 150m (guess) from one of
            > Swindon's famous landmarks - The Magic Roundabout.
            >
            > Swindon is full of roundabouts absolutely everywhere
            > but this is the famous one that people know of. This
            > is a multi-mini roundabout designed by the Road
            > Research Laboratory some 30 years ago to cope with
            > traffic converging from five directions. It consists
            > of one large roundabout in the centre surrounded by 5
            > smaller roundabouts at each of the junctions. Allowing
            > travel either clockwise round the outside or
            > anti-clockwise round the centre and still works
            > surprisingly well today. Take a look at
            > http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm - NB. It
            > gets much much busier than those photos would suggest!
            >
            > Got to within 6m of the actual dashpoint when I
            > encountered a flowerbed with some pink roses and was
            > not going to proceed any further in the typical
            > British Summertime rain. The flowerbed is in the
            > grounds of Drove Primary School near the OUT exit with
            > accompanying Blue Gates. Very quiet around as the
            > school has presumably broken up for the summer break.
            >
            > Alasdair

            > Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!
            > Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/
            >

            > To participate in Geodashing you must agree to read
            > and abide by all terms and conditions specified at
            > http://Geodashing.org/terms.htm and
            > http://Geodashing.org/disclaimer.htm .
            > To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          • Ed Cairns
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1 6:27 AM
              If you look at it from a different perspective.

              You can turn left on the roundabout as per normal. Or you can go right
              around the roundabouts and end up turning left by only turning right.

              With me?

              I thought not :-)

              Apparently Swindon has been used to test out most types of roundabouts.

              Ed
              Wanderer

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > To participate in Geodashing you must agree to read
              > and abide by all terms and conditions specified at
              > http://Geodashing.org/terms.htm and
              > http://Geodashing.org/disclaimer.htm .
              > To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            • Maarten Deen
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1 6:46 AM
                Servman zei:
                > Living in North America (where there are only 8 traffic circles for the
                > whole continent!) I only had to negotiate one in my life (the Dorval Circle
                > in Montreal). It's not even a real circle... there are 6 traffic lights to
                > go through in a complete rotation.
                >
                > Having seen real ones in action they seem fairly simple to use and a good
                > idea... now I look at this one.. WTF???

                As I found out, negotiating roundabouts in England is fairly simple, as long
                as you take the simple (and very true) rule: traffic on the roundabout has
                right of way.
                Using this rule, driving the Magic is easy: keep looking to your right and as
                long as there is no car coming dangerously close, keep pushing the throttle.
                It did seem to work for me as I never got into an accident the 9 months I was
                in Swindon wheras some of my colleges nearly did.

                Maarten (who did not hold the recordtime work-hotel at that time)
              • David Ackrill
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1 6:49 AM
                  From: "Maarten Deen"

                  > As I found out, negotiating roundabouts in England is fairly simple, as
                  long
                  > as you take the simple (and very true) rule: traffic on the roundabout has
                  > right of way.

                  On the Continent, it used to be that vehicles coming onto the island had
                  right of way.

                  That caused fun when Brits were going across to France. HI!

                  de Dave (G0DJA)
                • BOB!!
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 1 10:20 AM
                    --- Maarten Deen <mdeen@...> wrote:
                    > Servman zei:
                    > > Living in North America (where there are only 8 traffic circles
                    > for the
                    > > whole continent!) I only had to negotiate one in my life (the

                    C'mon, there are over a dozen just in Washington, DC. Outside this
                    area, though, you're right, they're pretty darn rare in North
                    America.

                    > As I found out, negotiating roundabouts in England is fairly
                    > simple, as long
                    > as you take the simple (and very true) rule: traffic on the
                    > roundabout has right of way.

                    While technically true here in DC, if you assume that people will
                    follow the rule, you'll wind up in an accident pretty darn quickly.
                    In Washington Circle, the incoming traffic from Pennsylvania Avenue
                    almost always fails to yield, despite prominently posted signs which
                    say "Yield to Traffic in Circle".

                    Regards,

                    BOB!!

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Timothy VanVranken
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 1 10:26 AM
                      New Jersey has the worst circles. Mainly because the rule is backwards. Traffic inside the circle has to Yield to inbound cars or maybe that was just what it seemed like the last time I was driving in NJ.

                      Of course, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are home to "All Left Turns must be made from the Right Lane"

                      Tim

                      Tim VanVranken
                      wiredcur@...
                      tvanvranken@...
                      "You can never be too WIRED!!!"

                    • mmpc
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 4 11:42 AM
                        Maybe traffic circles are making a comeback in NA. One was recently
                        installed in my hometown, at N37.3304 W122.0807. You can see a
                        picture of it using the aerial photo feature of mapquest, but the
                        Lost Outdoors photo is out of date and shows the old intersection
                        (before some development added more roads to the intersection).

                        It is in a fairly remote area, although it is close to a very
                        popular "open space park" so it can get busy on the weekends.

                        -Mark

                        --- In Geodashing@yahoogroups.com, BOB!! <robtjwms@y...> wrote:
                        > --- Maarten Deen <mdeen@x...> wrote:
                        > > Servman zei:
                        > > > Living in North America (where there are only 8 traffic circles
                        > > for the
                        > > > whole continent!) I only had to negotiate one in my life (the
                        >
                        > C'mon, there are over a dozen just in Washington, DC. Outside this
                        > area, though, you're right, they're pretty darn rare in North
                        > America.
                        >
                        > > As I found out, negotiating roundabouts in England is fairly
                        > > simple, as long
                        > > as you take the simple (and very true) rule: traffic on the
                        > > roundabout has right of way.
                        >
                        > While technically true here in DC, if you assume that people will
                        > follow the rule, you'll wind up in an accident pretty darn quickly.
                        > In Washington Circle, the incoming traffic from Pennsylvania Avenue
                        > almost always fails to yield, despite prominently posted signs which
                        > say "Yield to Traffic in Circle".
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > BOB!!

                        > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • Kevin Kelley
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 10 5:06 PM
                          Sorry, BOB!!, they're also quite a few in greater Boston. I would say in sympathy to Boston, (sorry, forgot the shire), England, but I don't suppose that that was the case. There was also one in or very near Long Beach about 40 years ago that my mother positively hated.

                          And Washington Circle is a positive abomination! It can be faster to walk around it than drive trhough it. And Dupont Circle's vehicle traffic patterns are worth avoiding too.

                          (Although that Swindon Magic Roundabout would probably do me in, and I wasn't too bad with British roundabouts.)

                          --Kevin

                          BOB!! <robtjwms@...> wrote:
                          --- Maarten Deen <mdeen@...> wrote:
                          > Servman zei:
                          > > Living in North America (where there are only 8 traffic circles
                          > for the
                          > > whole continent!) I only had to negotiate one in my life (the

                          C'mon, there are over a dozen just in Washington, DC. Outside this
                          area, though, you're right, they're pretty darn rare in North
                          America.

                          > As I found out, negotiating roundabouts in England is fairly
                          > simple, as long
                          > as you take the simple (and very true) rule: traffic on the
                          > roundabout has right of way.

                          While technically true here in DC, if you assume that people will
                          follow the rule, you'll wind up in an accident pretty darn quickly.
                          In Washington Circle, the incoming traffic from Pennsylvania Avenue
                          almost always fails to yield, despite prominently posted signs which
                          say "Yield to Traffic in Circle".

                          Regards,

                          BOB!!

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 10 6:25 PM
                            On 8/10/03 at 5:06 PM, arkelk2002@... (Kevin Kelley) wrote:

                            > BOB!! <robtjwms@...> wrote:
                            > --- Maarten Deen <mdeen@...> wrote:
                            > > Servman zei:
                            > > > Living in North America (where there are only 8 traffic circles
                            > > > for the whole continent!) I only had to negotiate one in my life

                            In Bend, Oregon (pop. 55,000) we have over a dozen "modern roundabouts"
                            on major streets with more being constructed. They are an advanced
                            design quite different from older "traffic circles." I really like
                            them. A few people have even tried putting geocaches in the center
                            islands.

                            --
                            geodasher | geocaching@...
                          • jackfrickey
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 10 9:49 PM
                              --- In Geodashing@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Kelley <arkelk2002@y...> wrote:

                              > And Washington Circle is a positive abomination! It can be faster
                              to walk around it than drive trhough it. And Dupont Circle's vehicle
                              traffic patterns are worth avoiding too.

                              Then there's Thomas Circle in Washington. When we moved our office
                              from Metro headquarters at 5th and G to near Thomas Circle, instead of
                              the guys escorting the girls to their cars, the girls had to escort
                              the guys (past all the hookers)!

                              JWF
                            • David Ackrill
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 11 1:22 AM
                                From: "Kevin Kelley"

                                > Sorry, BOB!!, they're also quite a few in greater Boston. I would say in
                                sympathy to Boston, (sorry, forgot the shire), England, but I don't suppose
                                that that was the case. There was also one in or very near Long Beach about
                                40 years ago that my mother positively hated.

                                Boston, Lincolnshire?

                                --... ...--
                                Morseman
                              • Ed Cairns
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 12 8:16 AM
                                  A recent story doing the rounds on the news was about a woman that drove to
                                  work but couldn't cope with a roundabout near her work which had a
                                  roundabout, with traffic lights, on it.

                                  So she parks up and walks the last mile and a half to work.

                                  Sad!

                                  She'd never leave the house if she lived in Swindon.

                                  Ed
                                • geocaching@bendcable.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 12 9:36 AM
                                    On 8/12/03 at 4:16 PM, eddiec@... (Ed Cairns) wrote:

                                    > A recent story doing the rounds on the news was about a woman that
                                    > drove to work but couldn't cope with a roundabout near her work which
                                    > had a roundabout, with traffic lights, on it.
                                    >
                                    > So she parks up and walks the last mile and a half to work.
                                    >
                                    > Sad!
                                    >
                                    > She'd never leave the house if she lived in Swindon.

                                    Don't want to turn this into a roundabout discussion but 2 quick points:

                                    1. The only reason to put lights on a roundabout--and even then it is
                                    rarely needed--is for pedestrians. If what you are talking about is a
                                    large, multi-lane rotary as seen in England, those things defy basic
                                    principles of modern roundabout design and can be very dangerous. We
                                    have learned not to build them that way.

                                    2. The walk will do her good providing she can cross the streets safely.

                                    Regards.

                                    --
                                    geodasher | geocaching@...
                                  • Kevin Kelley
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 15 5:38 PM
                                      Yes, thank you. With the church with the grand tower, "The Boston Stump", and the former guildhall where some of the Pilgrims were locked up for a couple of weeks when they tried to leave without the right paperwork.

                                      Although, now that I think of it, I can't think of a roundabout in that Boston. Getting to it from Huntingdon and Peterbourough, yes, but not in the town.

                                      --Kevin