SoccerFanatics: GDBQ-CANK

  • Scout bot
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2013
      Player: SoccerFanatics
      Team: GeoTerriers

      GDBQ-CANK is near Valparaiso, Florida, USA.

      2013-04-10, 3, 3, GDBQ-CANK, USA, Florida, 30.5700, -86.5348, 98 meters

      New extreme north visit this year for Florida: GDBQ-CANK
      New extreme west visit this year for Florida: GDBQ-CANK
      If this is not correct, please notify the Geodashing Webmaster

      Number of previous hunts by SoccerFanatics: 86

      Finally finishing up logs for finds on my business trip to Eglin AFB, this was my lone Dashpoint of the 10th. After work, I went out the west gate of Eglin, stopping briefly at the Armaments Museum just outside that gate to claim the Terracache there. I then headed up FL 123 for about 4 miles, merged with FL 85 for a short distance, and made the left turn back onto Eglin AFB property. After a very short paved stretch, the road turned to dirt/packed sand. This is mature forest here, with largish trees all around. After 1/10 of a mile or so, turned right onto a more narrow dirt road for a short distance, getting within 176 meters of the point on that road. I then backed up a bit, to a sandy stub off the road, and parked, then walked toward the dashpoint.

      I always think of Florida as very flat, but the land here in the panhandle has a lot more elevation change than most of the state. There certainly are not any mountains, and in fact few really big hills, either. But, the ground does rise and fall, and there are little stream valleys. The road I was on ran over flat ground, and the start of the walk was flat, but it started to drop a bit as I went along, and I could see that the point is located down into a broad little ravine. As soon as the GPS said I was at 100 meters I stopped, and under the trees it took a little while to settle on 98 meters, so I declared victory and headed back to the car and off range before the sun set. I had thought of trying for a couple GeoVexilla flags, too, but after a long work day, I decided dinner was calling.

      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GDBQ-CANK