chaosmanor: GDBP-AKOR

  • Scout bot
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      Player: chaosmanor
      Team: En Dash!

      GDBP-AKOR is near Apple Valley, California, USA.

      2013-03-18, 3, 3, GDBP-AKOR, USA, California, 34.4724, -117.1494, 52 meters

      Number of previous hunts by chaosmanor: 372

      Location: Apple Valley
      Time: 4:36pm PDT
      Elevation: 921 meters above mean sea level

      This was a serendipitous acquisition. I and Webfoot had a day of caching and Geovexilla planned, and I had gotten everything pretty-much set the night before. In the morning, I loaded my geocaching PQ, and flag data, into our new Garmin Oregon 550t, and then decided, purely for the heck of it, to see if there were any DPs anywhere near our route. I was quite surprised to see that we would actually drive right through this one.

      So near the end of the long loop that we drove, we were on Bear Valley Road, heading west, only a few kilometers from my car. Webfoot had earlier agreed to stop for this, and so he pulled over onto a nice, wide, very solid dirt shoulder, where I recorded my closest to the point.

      I stepped out of the car to take a photograph, and then we took off again. I don't really know if Webfoot will log this one; if he does, he won't be able to say much more about this than what I am going to write. The scenery was very much like we had been seeing for the past couple of hours, although the ground cover is a little thicker along here, and definitely greener. But creosote is still the dominant plant.

      The only other things that I can say are that the DP was measured at 524 meters from the City Limit sign for the City of Apple Valley. And gasoline prices (regular grade: 87 octane) along Bear Valley Road ranged from $3.979 to $4.179 per gallon. That works out to 0.81-0.85 Euros per liter, which is about half the average, going price for unleaded in the EU. I've bought fuel in Europe; it ain't cheap.

      chaosmanor

      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GDBP-AKOR