Re: [Geodashing] geoffj3191: GDBP-YQYW

  • Karen Mace
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2013
      Hi Geoff and all other geodashers,

      Glad that you got this dashpoint. Many of you won't know that I am
      originally from NZ and my family (mother's side) used to have a homestead
      that was near Darfield. Unfortunately it was a victim of the first
      earthquake that hit the Christchurch area (that earthquake was centred
      about 10km from Darfield) and became quite famous as evidence of the damage
      that the earthquake caused. I have attached a picture that you may have
      seen in the media at the time.

      This house has since been demolished as it was not possible to repair it
      (with all the internal damage that was sustained) but it makes you thankful
      that no-one was hurt during this earthquake.

      Thanks Geoff3191 for getting this dashpoint and for allowing me to share
      this family story.

      Regards
      Kmace (Karen)

      On 5 March 2013 21:00, Scout bot <Scout@...> wrote:

      > Player: geoffj3191
      > Team: En Dash!
      >
      > GDBP-YQYW is near Annat, New Zealand.
      >
      > > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon, Distance
      > 2013-03-05, 3, 3, GDBP-YQYW, New Zealand, , -43.3613, 171.9654, 50
      >
      > Number of previous hunts by geoffj3191: 251
      >
      > My first dashpoint in New Zealand and the first one found here for quite a
      > while.
      > Pam and I left Melbourne on the 9:40am flight, which actually took off at
      > 10am, mainly due to traffic at Tullamarine, including a couple of A380s
      > which I still have difficulty in believing can get of the ground. This,
      > despite the fact that we flew on one from Paris to Singapore two years ago.
      > We arrived in Christchurch at 3pm local time and hired our Holden
      > Commodore, which was supposed to have been a VW Passat. No matter however,
      > the Commodore Sports is a major car, and probably more fun.
      > After doing a few organisational things, like getting Telecom NZ sim
      > cards, we set out for this dashpoint, about 50km NW of Christchurch on the
      > way towards the mountains of the west coast.
      > After passing through Darfield, the dashpoint was found 50m in from the
      > fence in a grassy field. Strangely, some wheel tracks headed through the
      > soft looking field directly towards GZ. In the adjacent field, a number of
      > sheep, which rival the kiwi as New Zealand�s signature animal, grazed on
      > the luxuriant grass.
      > We then headed back towards Christchurch, doing some caching along the
      > way. This will probably be my only opportunity to score a dashpoint on this
      > 15 day trip, so I�m glad it was accessible.
      > This means I found the first dashpoint in March, in two different
      > countries. Probably not a first, but fun nevertheless.
      >
      > 3 points for Endash! and
      > 3 points for GeoffJ3191
      >
      > Thanks Scout
      >

      > http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GDBP-YQYW

    • Geoff Jamieson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2013
        Karen's photo was stripped from this email by Yahoo, so I asked her to
        send it to me and I've uploaded it to the gallery for this dashpoint.
        It's a photo that evokes many emotions.
        You can see it at
        *http://tinyurl.com/cesxyn9
        **