Re: [Geodashing] First Hit!

  • GC Scout
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      >From: Matt Stum <matt@...>
      >Subject: Re: [Geodashing] First Hit!
      >Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:45:40 -0500
      >
      >Does getting within 0.15 *miles* (nearly 800 ft) really
      >qualify as a hit?! It certainly doesn't require a GPS for that sort of
      >accuracy...

      The rules state that you must get within 100 meters to score the waypoint.

      Of course, you can still enjoy the hunt even if getting that close is not
      possible, due to terrain or private property issues.

      I was thinking of changing the rules to allow a greater distance, but also
      allow a second person to take the waypoint away if the second person can get
      closer. But for this first edition of Geodashing, 100 meters is the distance
      needed to officially score the waypoint.
    • GC Scout
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        >From: Matt Stum <matt@...>
        >While 100 meters is still a huge distance (certainly doesn't
        >require a GPS), 800 ft exceeds the 100 meter rule. Does it still qualify
        >as "the first hit"?

        If the closest distance was 800 ft, it will not qualify as an official hit.

        Because the Geodashing waypoints are randomly selected, they are often much
        harder to reach than geocaching spots. 100 meters was used as the limit
        because that's what is used by the Degree Confluence Project, another GPS
        game with similar difficulty for target waypoints. It seems to work well
        there.