chaosmanor: GD89-AJOZ

  • Geodashing mailbot
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      Player: chaosmanor
      Team: En Dash!

      GD89-AJOZ is near Thousand Oaks, California, USA.

      2008-11-01, 3, 3, GD89-AJOZ, USA, California, 34.1631, -118.8349, 70 meters

      Number of previous hunts by chaosmanor: 230

      Location: Thousand Oaks
      Closest approach: 230 feet
      Local Time - Midnight, PDT
      Elevation: 851 feet above mean sea level
      Straight-line distance from home - 12.60 miles, at 106� magnetic
      Total trip distance: 34.4 miles
      Total trip time: 43 minutes

      *** *** *** ***

      All Saint's Day is less than half-an-hour old, and En Dash! is already three points to the good :-)

      When the month's DPs came out, I saw this as an easy way to keep going my string of months with at least one acquisition. I had checked this out a couple of days ago, and verified that I could score this from the nearest street. Zeroing it out looked to be unlikely, as this facility is rather secretive, with yellow, lockable swing gates at every entrance. But as a midnight run, this was pretty close to perfect.

      So, after the few trick-or-treaters that came to our neighborhood vanished into the night, I sat and typed up most of this, uploaded the photo I had taken during my reconnaissance, then headed up The Grade on US 101, and 15 minutes later was outside the facility. It's a two-storey, concrete-and-glass facility with the typical trees and grass landscaping that this sort of place seems to have. All the gates were locked but one, and I demurred of entering the lot, as I was 230 feet/70 meters from GZ while parked on Sunset Drive near the gate in the photo I posted. I drove around to Willow Lane, and finally discovered that this is an ITT facility. Never did see a number on the building or on the large, floodlit concrete monument sign, but WeiserLitho printing is on the last driveway on Willow, just a couple of lots east of the ITT building, and it has a number of 3592. I actually was likely closer while I was on Willow, but I didn't bother to check. I also noted Scotty's Body Shop tucked into the corner of Willow and Sunset. At the stroke of midnight, I decamped for home.

      When I left the house, no one had yet logged a find for November; upon my return, nothing had changed. It isn't often that the first DP of the month is scored in California on a midnight run. Thanks to the llamas for making it easy to do it this time :-)

      chaosmanor

      Wherever you went, there you were: urban dashing tends to be uninteresting, so we have to find any means we can to jazz it up a little.

      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD89-AJOZ
    • Scout
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
        chaosmanor wrote:
        > GD89-AJOZ is near Thousand Oaks, California, USA.

        > All Saint's Day is less than half-an-hour old, and En Dash! is already three points to the good :-)

        > When I left the house, no one had yet logged a find for November; upon my return, nothing had changed. It isn't often that the first DP of the month is scored in California on a midnight run. Thanks to the llamas for making it easy to do it this time :-)

        Congratulations on getting the first dashpoint score for November. As
        you say, it's rare that California gets the honor.

        --
        Scout
      • Geoff Jamieson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
          On behalf of the rest of the world, it was our pleasure.

          gmj3191