Dave Hinns: GD56-IVYT,GD56-IVUG,GD56-IVYL

  • Geodashing mailbot
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Player: Dave Hinns
      Team: GeoTerriers

      > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon
      2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVYT, United Kingdom, , 54.7418, -1.3460
      2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVUG, United Kingdom, , 54.2375, -1.6214
      2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVYL, United Kingdom, , 53.3279, -1.4092

      I's sad to say Mum died peacefully in her sleep Sunday Morning after a 22 year battle with breast cancer, so I had another trip north Sunday afternoon.

      With some spare time on my hands I planned a route home again taking in some of the remaining dashpoints that weren't far off my route. With all the arangements finalised yesterday I headed on my roundabout way home.

      GD56-IVYT - Just south of Peterlee, near Sunderland in trees along the south banks of the River Dene. I struggled to get anywhere close to this dashpoint, mostly because it's at the back of Castle Eden golf course. Then I saw someone in the distance walking their dog roughly where I wanted to go, which I thought was brave as it was snowing.

      I found somewhere to park the car and walked over one of the fairways and then along the treeline until I came to within 70m where I lost signal in the trees. deciding that was enough and I was gettign very cold I returned to my warm car.

      GD56-IVUG - I carried on south and rejoined the A1 passing through Sedgefield, Tony Blairs constituency (so now I know where that is) and down the A1 to Leeming Bar, close to RAF Leeming. I left the A1 and followed the B6268 towards Masham and the dashpoint was half a mile from the road where I parked the car and walked along the access road to Snape farm. It wasn't snowing this far south but my car was telling me it was -2 C outside.

      Past the farm and along a muddy track well used by tractors at a guess was a ploughed field with the dashpoint 30m from the gate.

      GD56-IVYL - The in Car GPS came in very handy here in helping me through the south of Sheffield. I struggled to find the footpath leading to this dashpoint from one end so ended up following the road from Charnock Hall primary school towards a farm where I left the car and headed into a field towards the dashpoint. Following the footpath sign, the dashpoint was about 200m into the next field which again was ploughed. You could get to within 80m from the side of the field without risking very muddy shoes. Luckily the edges were mostly frozen.

      9 points please for me and GeoTerriers

      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD56-IVYT
      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD56-IVUG
      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD56-IVYL
    • Ian Kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        Dave,

        Trish and I were very sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope you and the rest of
        your family are all well.

        Regards,

        Ian and Trish

        > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon
        2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVYT, United Kingdom, , 54.7418, -1.3460
        2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVUG, United Kingdom, , 54.2375, -1.6214
        2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVYL, United Kingdom, , 53.3279, -1.4092

        I's sad to say Mum died peacefully in her sleep Sunday Morning after a 22
        year battle with breast cancer, so I had another trip north Sunday
        afternoon.

        With some spare time on my hands I planned a route home again taking in some
        of the remaining dashpoints that weren't far off my route. With all the
        arangements finalised yesterday I headed on my roundabout way home.

        GD56-IVYT - Just south of Peterlee, near Sunderland in trees along the south
        banks of the River Dene. I struggled to get anywhere close to this
        dashpoint, mostly because it's at the back of Castle Eden golf course. Then
        I saw someone in the distance walking their dog roughly where I wanted to
        go, which I thought was brave as it was snowing.

        I found somewhere to park the car and walked over one of the fairways and
        then along the treeline until I came to within 70m where I lost signal in
        the trees. deciding that was enough and I was gettign very cold I returned
        to my warm car.

        GD56-IVUG - I carried on south and rejoined the A1 passing through
        Sedgefield, Tony Blairs constituency (so now I know where that is) and down
        the A1 to Leeming Bar, close to RAF Leeming. I left the A1 and followed the
        B6268 towards Masham and the dashpoint was half a mile from the road where I
        parked the car and walked along the access road to Snape farm. It wasn't
        snowing this far south but my car was telling me it was -2 C outside.

        Past the farm and along a muddy track well used by tractors at a guess was a
        ploughed field with the dashpoint 30m from the gate.

        GD56-IVYL - The in Car GPS came in very handy here in helping me through the
        south of Sheffield. I struggled to find the footpath leading to this
        dashpoint from one end so ended up following the road from Charnock Hall
        primary school towards a farm where I left the car and headed into a field
        towards the dashpoint. Following the footpath sign, the dashpoint was about
        200m into the next field which again was ploughed. You could get to within
        80m from the side of the field without risking very muddy shoes. Luckily
        the edges were mostly frozen.

        9 points please for me and GeoTerriers

        http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD56-IVYT
        http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD56-IVUG
        http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD56-IVYL

        Your use of Geodashing is subject to:
        http://www.gpsgames.org/content/view/27/ .

        Gps
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gps+receiver+for+laptop&w1=Gps+receiver
        +for+laptop&w2=Gps+receiver&w3=Usb+gps+receiver&w4=Science&w5=Gps+receiver+m
        odule&w6=Gps+receiver+for+pda&c=6&s=133&.sig=EKosSG3uTG7kv2xJGV1wSA>
        receiver for laptop Gps
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gps+receiver&w1=Gps+receiver+for+laptop
        &w2=Gps+receiver&w3=Usb+gps+receiver&w4=Science&w5=Gps+receiver+module&w6=Gp
        s+receiver+for+pda&c=6&s=133&.sig=vSTaSP-wmmXvs33koBYNEQ> receiver Usb
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usb+gps+receiver&w1=Gps+receiver+for+la
        ptop&w2=Gps+receiver&w3=Usb+gps+receiver&w4=Science&w5=Gps+receiver+module&w
        6=Gps+receiver+for+pda&c=6&s=133&.sig=ip1k8hZPrs6X9sq_HfYNUQ> gps receiver

        Science
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science&w1=Gps+receiver+for+laptop&w2=G
        ps+receiver&w3=Usb+gps+receiver&w4=Science&w5=Gps+receiver+module&w6=Gps+rec
        eiver+for+pda&c=6&s=133&.sig=9-l-3lTVT2MeLw_kvWbTzA> Gps
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gps+receiver+module&w1=Gps+receiver+for
        +laptop&w2=Gps+receiver&w3=Usb+gps+receiver&w4=Science&w5=Gps+receiver+modul
        e&w6=Gps+receiver+for+pda&c=6&s=133&.sig=4-xbs3fn5gZnyMZiU9rpSA> receiver
        module Gps
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gps+receiver+for+pda&w1=Gps+receiver+fo
        r+laptop&w2=Gps+receiver&w3=Usb+gps+receiver&w4=Science&w5=Gps+receiver+modu
        le&w6=Gps+receiver+for+pda&c=6&s=133&.sig=aCxOcwa6NSlmQwumhNIkWA> receiver
        for pda

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "Geodashing
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geodashing> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • Roger Barnes
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
          Dave,

          Stateside, our sympathies also go out to you and your family. My Mum
          died in December and I found out that even when expected, this is a very
          difficult time. Best wishes as you struggle thru the next few weeks.

          Roger
        • David Brew
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
            Dear Dave,
            I'm so sorry to hear that. Strangely enough my mother passed away, a victim
            of the same disease, albeit after a much shorter battle, and also in the
            early hours of sunday.
            I had been over to Spain to visit her during february (looked for DPs but
            none were close enough) and won't be able to make it for the funeral
            tomorrow.
            Please accept my very sincere condolences for you and your family.
            Best wishes
            David

            > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon
            2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVYT, United Kingdom, , 54.7418, -1.3460
            2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVUG, United Kingdom, , 54.2375, -1.6214
            2006-02-28, 3, 3, GD56-IVYL, United Kingdom, , 53.3279, -1.4092

            I's sad to say Mum died peacefully in her sleep Sunday Morning after a 22
            year battle with breast cancer, so I had another trip north Sunday
            afternoon.
          • Scout
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
              Dave Hinns wrote:
              > I's sad to say Mum died peacefully in her sleep Sunday Morning after a
              > 22 year battle with breast cancer, so I had another trip north Sunday
              > afternoon.

              My sympathies to her family and friends. Many of us learned a little
              about her as you described your journeys to visit her and the
              occasional detour to random places along the way. Thanks for sharing
              your experiences.

              --
              Scout
            • Jim Carleton
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
                ... Mum died peacefully in her sleep Sunday Morning after a 22 year
                battle with breast cancer, so I had another trip north Sunday afternoon.
                ** ** ** **

                Dave, please accept my condolences as well. 22 years is an
                amazingly-long time to fight any cancer. Your Mum must have been an
                extraordinary lady ;-)

                Jim
              • Jim Carleton
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
                  --- In Geodashing@yahoogroups.com, "David Brew" <brew@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Dave,
                  > I'm so sorry to hear that. Strangely enough my mother passed away,
                  > a victim of the same disease, albeit after a much shorter battle,
                  > and also in the early hours of sunday. I had been over to Spain to
                  > visit her during february (looked for DPs but none were close
                  > enough) and won't be able to make it for the funeral tomorrow.

                  Well, David, now I understand your absence during the recent MinuteWar
                  game. I hope that you had a nice visit with her last month. My
                  sincerest condolences.

                  Having lost my best friend to lymphoma in January, I can certainly
                  relate to the grief that the Brew and Hinns families are feeling,
                  although losing a friend isn't anything like losing one's parents.

                  Jim
                • Scout
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
                    David Brew said:
                    > I'm so sorry to hear that. Strangely enough my mother passed away, a
                    > victim of the same disease, albeit after a much shorter battle, and
                    > also in the early hours of sunday.

                    My sympathies go to you and your family. The telephone and the Internet
                    and commercial jet travel have made the world smaller. It's great you were
                    able to make it to Spain in February to visit.

                    --
                    Scout