chaosmanor: GD49-AJOD

  • Geodashing mailbot
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Player: chaosmanor
      Team: En Dash!

      > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon
      2005-07-01, 3, 3, GD49-AJOD, USA, California, 34.1906, -119.0150

      Location: Camarillo
      Closest approach: about 20 meters
      Local Time - 12:01 AM, PDT
      Elevation: 80 feet above mean sea level
      Straight-line distance from home - 2.59 miles, at 125� magnetic
      Round-trip distance: 8.6 miles
      Total trip time: 16.5 minutes
      DP title: Finally! One close to home :-)

      This is going to be about as short a dash hunt report as you're likely to get from me. Not only do I get a reasonable DP for a midnight run, but it's only a few minutes from home :-) So there'll be no long ramble about all the stuff I saw; it's dark! There's not much to see even in the daytime, but there's even less now.

      At about 10 minutes to midnight, I hopped in my Civic, wound a bit through town, headed south on Lewis Road, then east on Pleasant Valley Road, and then south on Pancho Road. Pancho runs between a light industrial area, and (surprise!) farm land. A mile or so down, Pancho becomes a dirt road and heads into a farm, with a house or two on either side, and a large one at the end, where the owner lives. At this point, Howard Road heads off to the east, eventually winding up at a cemetary. Our son-in-law's grandfather is buried there, and I paid my respects during Minute War Game 24, when a flag wound up nearby. I even left the flag with "Papa" for safekeeping.

      Anyway, a dirt road runs to the west from here, too. Most maps call it Howard Road, but all the houses on it have addresses on Pancho. I've delivered a few pizzas to one house or another down here, and the first time I did, I was really confused by the numbering. Most of the houses here are for farm workers, although some guys who work in the industrial area live in a couple of them. The DP is about two-tenths of a mile down this dirt road, more-or-less across from the cluster of houses, about 20 meters into the fields on the south side of the road. The fields have been recently planted with something, and covered with plastic sheeting. Nothing has come up, yet, but I suspect that they are tomatoes, peppers, or possibly cilantro; it's that time of year, and they don't put down sheeting for corn or broccoli. Very quiet out there at night, but a couple of the houses still had lights on. I half-expected to see Sam in his car, though, waiting for me ;-)

      I got a few details that I needed to fill out this report, and at one minute past midnight, I headed back home. I had reconnoitered the area a couple of days early, to take daytime photos and to verify that I would be able to score without entering the fields. I'm posting two of my earlier shots, as well as one night shot of the houses; there were enough lights on to make it worth taking the shot.

      It sure is nice to already have three points, and not even have gone to bed, yet :-)

      chaosmanor

      Wherever you went, there you were, and it's especially nice to have "there" be only a little way from "here" :-D

      http://geodashing.gpsgames.org/cgi-bin/dp.pl?dp=GD49-AJOD
    • Scout
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        On 1 Jul 2005 at 1:20, chaosmanor wrote:
        > Player: chaosmanor
        > Team: En Dash!
        >
        > > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon
        > 2005-07-01, 3, 3, GD49-AJOD, USA, California, 34.1906, -119.0150

        Congratulations, I believe you get this game's honors for first
        dashpoint report, narrowly beating out New South Wales by 20 minutes.

        --
        Scout
      • Jim Carleton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          --- In Geodashing@yahoogroups.com, "Scout" <Scout@G...> wrote:
          > On 1 Jul 2005 at 1:20, chaosmanor wrote:
          > > Player: chaosmanor
          > > Team: En Dash!
          > >
          > > > Date, Points, TeamPoints, Dashpoint, Country, State, Lat, Lon
          > > 2005-07-01, 3, 3, GD49-AJOD, USA, California, 34.1906, -119.0150
          >
          > Congratulations, I believe you get this game's honors for first
          > dashpoint report, narrowly beating out New South Wales by 20 minutes.
          >
          > --
          > Scout

          Thank you! A little luck, an easy placement by a generous llama, and
          some pre-planning were the key. That, and a very tolerant wife, who
          was up late doing work on her company-issue laptop, and so didn't mind
          me making noise so late :-)

          In celebration, I finally got my first ShutterSpot posted, one that's
          within a few miles of the DP, for anyone who might be thinking of
          heading this way.

          Jim