FW: [litvaksig] Lithuania Internal Passport Records

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2012
      6,407 Internal Passport Records, 1919-1940, have been added to the
      searchable databases on the Litvak SIG All Lithuania Database (ALD) and the
      JewishGen Lithuania Database.

      These records are mainly for the following towns - Alytus, Klaipeda,
      Marijampole, Panevezys, Siauliai and the Siauliai District, Zarasai, and
      Zeismariai.

      However, many other towns in Lithuania are mentioned because the internal
      passport records include where they were born and their date of birth. In
      many cases, where they obtained their I.P. was a different town than the one
      they were born in.

      Also, many of the applicants have a personal file which may include various
      documents as well as a photo. To see examples of the type of documents
      included in some of the files, go to
      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Lithuania/InternalPassports.htm

      Even if you have searched the database previously, I suggest you do so again
      since these additional records have been added.
      Do a surname search. If it is a small town or village, I suggest you also
      do a town search. A town search for a large city, like Vilnius or Kaunas
      will not bring meaningful results.

      If you would like to support the Internal Passport Project, please go to
      www.litvaksig.org/contribute Scroll down to Special Projects and select
      Internal Passports.

      Howard Margol
      Founder - Coordinator - Internal Passport Project The database and
      discussion group of LitvakSIG
      (litvaksig@...) are hosted by JewishGen