FW: [iajgs] JGS Greater Orlando Experience of GoToWebinar

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10 6:13 PM
      Good Morning JSG Leaders,

      JGS Greater Orlando also had success in using GoToWebinar. Earlier this
      week, Mark Nicholls explained how GoToWebinar works well to allow attendees
      from across the city (or even across the world) to view a presentation and
      to ask questions of the presenter from their home computer.

      There is another important benefit to using GoToWebinar - the ability to
      bring in remote speakers. We recently brought in an expert speaker from
      Jerusalem to our meeting room in Orlando via GoToWebinar. We were able to
      view the speaker's slides, hear him speak, and ask questions from Orlando as
      if he was in the room with us. And we avoided the time and expense of
      international travel for the speaker.

      You have full flexibility at both ends of the connection - presenter and
      attendees. Your speaker can be remote or live in your meeting room. You can
      also have multiple presenters in different locations and change between
      them. At the same time, you have the option to allow remote attendees from
      their homes, or only those in your meeting room, or perhaps those in another
      alternate meeting room in another part of the city. It is entirely up to you
      and under your control.

      We also recently brought in other remote speakers over the Internet using
      Skype and Adobe Connect and plan to use Google+ in the future. All of these
      tools have their pros and cons.

      We did find GoToWebinar to be the best of these tools. I.e., it has very
      full features (e.g. ability to poll the audience, chat, pose questions via
      audio or typing, record the webinar for future playback, etc.), a reliable
      connection, and a more than adequate limit on number of attendees. Also
      since others such as Legacy Family Tree use GoToWebinar for its free
      webinars, more people are familiar with its interface.

      Especially as part of a small JGS that cannot itself afford such a service,
      we were happy that the IAJGS could provide free access to GoToWebinar. We
      are planning some upcoming classes using GoToWebinar and hope the IAJGS
      continues to offer this valuable service to the member societies. We view
      this as a key benefit to being a member of the IAJGS.
      Thank you, IAJGS!

      I echo Mark Nicholls: " I would encourage others to use the IAJGS
      GoToWebinar account to deliver lectures and other events on-line. To find
      out how to set up a webinar you need to contact Daniel Horowitz
      (daniel@...)." Daniel worked with us to have a practice session in
      advance of our meeting so we were comfortable using the service. Thanks,
      Daniel!

      Marlis Glaser Humphrey
      marlis@...
      VP Programs, JGSGO