FW: [iajgs] Virginia Vital Records Access Bills Pass Respective Chambers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2012
      I have previously written on this forum about Virginia HR 272 [death and
      marriage], SB 309 [marriage records] and SB 310 [death records]which reduce
      the "closed" period for marriages and deaths held by the Virginia Department
      of Health (VDH) from 50 to 25 years. The Virginia House and Senate have
      unanimously passed the bills in their respective houses, requiring the
      House bill to be approved by the Senate, and the Senate bills by the House,
      before being sent on to the Governor. If you want to look at the bills
      actions go to: http://legis.state.va.us/ and type in the bill numbers.

      We have been advised by the former president of the Virginia Genealogical
      Society, Peter Broadbent, that another vital records bill will be introduced
      next week: SB 660, in the Senate Education and Health Subcommittee on Health
      Care replacing the existing placeholder bill
      http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+ful+SB660+pdf.

      The replacement bill will make it clear that after the "closed" period ends
      for vital records, these records should go to the Library of Virginia like
      any other archival records, ii) direct VDH to create an online vital records
      index which is publicly available online through a contract with a private
      entity at no direct cost to the Commonwealth of Virginia, and iii) specify
      that the index will be capable of being linked to the underlying digital
      documents (if those are public) by the Library of Virginia.

      Jan Meisels Allen
      janmallen@...
      IAJGS Vice President
      Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee