FW: [iajgs] More on SSDI Issue and Congressional Hearing February 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2012
      forum regarding the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Social Security
      Hearing on Thursday February 2 at 9:00 AM (Eastern):

      1. Yes, you will be able to watch the hearing live from the convenience of
      where ever your computer is-- go to: http://tinyurl.com/6uq9pd7 full url:
      http://waysandmeans.house.gov/Calendar/?EventTypeID=149&CatagoryID=4772
      and either click on the hearing or scroll down to the bottom right of the
      screen where it says committee videos
      (http://waysandmeans.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2) and we
      should see it live. I have been told it will also be archived so one can
      watch it any time.

      2. To learn who is on the Subcommittee: Go to the Committee
      website:http://waysandmeans.house.gov/About/Members.htm The people who
      serve on the full Ways and Means Committee are listed first and scroll down
      to the Subcommittee on Social Security -- Each of the members own websites
      may be accessed by clicking on their names under the full committee.

      3. This subcommittee hearing for the subcommittee to hear what different
      stakeholders want in new legislation. The IAJGS and RPAC have provided
      staff with legislative language and concepts, held several conference calls
      and had numerous e-mails and phone calls with the staff...they received our
      input-- if they do anything with it we will only know when the new bill is
      proposed. Therefore, when/if a new bill is introduced it will be heard in
      both the House and Senate - and an opportunity exists for more input at
      those times.

      For those who are interested in ideas on this issue go to the Records
      Preservation and Access Committee (RPAC) website
      http://www.fgs.org/rpac/index.php where there is a talking points paper.
      IAJGS is a managing (voting) member of RPAC.

      Thank you for all your interest in this very important issue to
      genealogists.

      Jan Meisels Allen
      janmallen@...
      IAJGS Vice President
      Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee