FW: [iajgs] (USA) National Archives Attempting Tp Restore the 1973 Fire-Damaged Military Records

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2012
      In 1973 a devastating fire burned millions of US military records located in
      the St. Louis, Missouri facility--we all thought the records were lost
      forever. A recent article in the St. Louis Beacon,
      http://tinyurl.com/7ya32sy original url:
      http://www.stlbeacon.org/arts-life/neighborhoods/out-and-about/114919-profil
      e-of-national-archives-at-st-louis
      relates the story of the restoration efforts being undertaken by the
      National Archives, in St. Louis. We will not see all of the millions of
      documents restored in our lifetimes, but they have already treated
      15,000-20,000 records out of the 6.5 million burned.

      Jan Meisels Allen
      janmallen@...
      IAJGS Vice President
      Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee