FW: [iajgs] To Fee or Not to Fee? That Is the Question

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2012
      I believe the answer is entirely dependent on several issues, the size of
      the JGS, cost of running meetings, whether the JGS can absorb any outgoings
      not covered by non-members. I'm sure there are other points I haven't
      thought of, off the cuff.

      That said, as President of the San Francisco Bay Area Jewish Genealogical
      Society. this is a question which has been brought before the Board on a
      number of occasions. The feeling has always been not to enforce any kind of
      fee.

      A guest may come any number of times and if a fee is levied, then someone in
      the Society has to monitor the number of fees paid if that may be applied to
      the membership amount. If you set it at say,
      $5.00 as you mention, then in theory someone could come six times a year and
      this may be greater than the membership dues. (Incidentally our dues are
      still at $23.00.)

      Rather than create an extra layer of administration, we would simply hope
      that the conviviality and what the guest got out of the
      meeting(s) would persuade that person to eventually recognize the benefit of
      joining the society. We certainly don't wish to apply any pressure to force
      someone to join after say, attending a fixed number of meetings.

      Sincerely,
      --
      Jeremy G Frankel
      jfrankel@...