FW: [iajgs] $5.00 fee for JGS meetings

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2012
      Marlis Humphrey, JGS Orlando asked about JGSs charging non-members $5.00 to
      attend their meeting. JGS of the Conejo Valley and Ventura County (JGSCV)
      does not charge non members a fee for attending the meetings -- with one
      exception-our annual assisted research afternoon at the Los Angeles Family
      History Library all attendees must be current members. This is one of
      several member only privileges...

      The Temple that we hold our meetings at, considers us part of their adult
      education program and an outreach to the community-and wants anyone in the
      community to be able to attend at no charge other than membership fee and as
      we are not charged anything for meeting there - that is a price we --the
      JGSCV board --believes that is worth significantly more than collecting
      $5.00 for non-members. JGSCV is a separate organization/corporation, even
      with the affiliation with the Temple considering us part of their adult
      education...and have our own 501-(c)(3) under the IAJGS umbrella- not under
      the Temple's.

      We have a few "schnorrers" which there is nothing we can do about...and have
      a list of attendees that get our meeting notices but do not get certain
      other member privileges. We hope that those who attend will join as members
      and some do...others attend for years and never will join.

      Jan Meisels Allen
      janmallen@...
      President, JGSCV