FW: [iajgs] Social Security Numbers Stolen, Article On Family Medical History

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2011
      In light of my recent postings regarding Social Security numbers, identity
      theft and family medical histories being so important I am sharing links to
      several articles of interest:

      Another example of stolen Social Security Numbers (SSN)-*not* from genealogy
      sites this time 4.9 million Tricare military beneficiaries personnel data-
      includes SSN, birth dates, phone numbers, medical tests no financial
      information. The contracting firm SAIC is being sued by both the State of
      Texas on behalf of the Tricare beneficiaries as the theft occurred in Texas,
      Congressman Sam Johnson's home state, and the Department of Defense-each
      suing for $4.9 billion in damages

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/tricare-military-beneficiaries-being-
      informed-of-stolen-personal-data/2011/11/23/gIQAcRNHtN_story.html

      Thank you to Cynthia Spikell of the JGS of Cleveland for the following link
      to the state's largest newspaper article on the importance of creating a
      family medical history..Ohio is the home state of Senator Sherrod Brown,
      author of the "Dear Colleague" letter regarding removal of SSN from
      genealogy sites:
      http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2011/11/explore_your_health_roo
      ts_at_t.html

      Jan Meisels Allen
      IAJGS Vice President
      Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee