FW: Newspapers ... you never know what you'll find ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 7:59 AM

      Food for thought

      From: Lynna Kay Shuffield [mailto:lksfriday@...]
      Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:22 AM
      To: Our Loose Ends GenColumnist
      Subject: Newspapers ... you never know what you'll find ...

      My firm rule is ... You never know what you'll find or where you'll find it ...

      In turning the pages (on a microfilm reader) I came across a headline in the HOUSTON PRESS that caught my eye ... Hitler's Uncle Dies in East Bernard ... see transription below ...

      I'm just wondering ... What would DNA show ?? ... With so many DNA tests available, wouldn't be nice to find-out about this family's DNA and if there was Jewish family history ...

      Just another interesting World War II story and ... a what if ...

      lks

      = = = =

      Houston Press, Monday, 22 June 1942, p. 1, c. 7

      Hitler's Uncle Dies in East Bernard

      Alois Kozelsky, Long-Time Resident of South Texas Farming Community, Hated His Kinsman

      Hitler's uncle - his name was Alois Kozelsky, and he wasn't at all proud of Adolf - died Monday in East Bernard.

      Kozelsky, a long-time resident of the little farming community i50 miles west of Houston was 63 years old.

      Stricken with infantile paralysis 30 years ago, Kozelsky spent most of his time in a wheel chair.

      Last Friday he accidentally rolled off his front porch. The mishap weakened his heart and hastened his death, his physician said.

      Since 1936, when he was "discovered" by The Press living quietly on his farm at East Bernard, Kozelsky eagerly watched and foretold in part - the gathering war clouds in Europe.

      Confirmed Kinship

      Although he confirmed at the time that his sister was Hitler's mother, the aged farmer asserted emphatically he took no pride in Hitler.

      "He's ignorant," asserted Kozelsky, weighing each word carefully, "and such a person can have only a one-sided mind. Power means everything to him. And he doesn't care as what method he gets it."

      Adolf was only "a bold, bad boy" in the third grade when Kozelsky left his home in Mistka, Moravia, then a part of Austria, to come to America.

      Nationalized Citizen

      A resident of the East Bernard community for 40 years, Kozelsky has been in America since his early youth and was a naturalized citizen.

      One of his sons, Louie, is a soldier in the U.S. Army at Camp Barker, Abilene. Another, Joe, operates a soft drink parlor in East Bernard and his daughter, Mary, lives at home.

      = = = =

      Lynna Kay Shuffield - P.O. Box 16604 - Houston, Texas 77222 - 713/692-4511

      FaceBook

      Oran M. Roberts Chapter 440, UDC

      Texas Star Chapter, DRT

      Our Loose Ends - Genealogy Column