FW: Harris County War Memorial ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2011

    From: Lynna Kay Shuffield [mailto:lksfriday@...]
    Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 8:31 AM
    To: lksfriday@...
    Subject: Harris County War Memorial ...

    As you know, since August 2010, I have been working with Harris County Commissioner Radack to add the missing names of World War I and World War II War Dead to the official Harris County War Memorial in Bear Creek Park ...

    This has been a project of the Oran M. Roberts Chapter 440, United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) in keeping with the UDC's mission of patriot activities ...

    Research found almost 100 World War I War Dead and over 1,300 World War II War Dead that were not included on the Harris County War Memorial ...

    When presented with the data and research documentation, Harris County agreed the names needed to be added to the Memorial ... resulting in four granite panels (6-foot tall x 4-foot wide x 2 foot thick) and one 5-foot round obelisk (which will hold the names of 90 men who died in the Merchant Marine in World War II) ...

    The cost of the additional granite panels and construction is approx. $150,000 ... which was fully funded  ...

    Please see attached letter ...

    Harris County Commissioners Court Meeting will be at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 17th ... Harris County Administration Bldg., 1001 Preston, 9th Floor   (... yes, I know, downtown Houston ... but there are several nice parking lots nearby... )

    Harris County Memorial Day Ceremony will be at 2 p.m. on Monday, May 30th ... Bear Creek Pioneer Park ... 3535 War Memorial Drive, Houston, Texas ...

    The webpage for the Harris County War Memorial

    http://www.pct3.hctx.net/discover/warmemorial.aspx

    Please mark your calendar to join us at both of the above events ...

    p.s. Note - There is one minor error in the letter ... I was a Major in the State Military Forces of Texas ... not "our nation's military" ...

    Lynna Kay Shuffield - P.O. Box 16604 - Houston, Texas 77222 - 713/692-4511

    FaceBook

    Oran M. Roberts Chapter 440, UDC

    Texas Star Chapter, DRT

    Our Loose Ends - Genealogy Column