FW: Clayton Extra - May 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2010
      NextReads @ HPL

      From: Houston Public Library [mailto:nextreads@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:13 AM
      To: Max Heffler
      Subject: Clayton Extra - May 2010

      Having trouble viewing this newsletter? Click Here

      Clayton Extra - May 2010

      No. 3

      Additional news from Clayton Library

      Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research
      5300 Caroline, Houston, TX 77004
      832-393-2600

      In This Issue

      CLAYTON LIBRARY HOURS ARE CHANGING!

      Houston Public Library Implements New Service Hours

      Like many libraries across the state and nation, Houston Public Library is experiencing an increase in library usage while the economy is forcing reductions to our budget. In an effort to better align our services with our current budget and staff resources, we will implement a reduction in service hours beginning this Saturday, April 17, 2010.

      We remain committed to providing the high level of customer service you expect from the Houston Public Library. We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause. We will be monitoring library usage and listening to customer feedback as we move forward.

      Please visit www.houstonlibrary.org/new-hours-of-operation for more information about how these decisions were made, and what the new hours of operation will be at your library.

      Monthly programming

      Houston Public Library now has an online registration system for programs offered.  You will need a HPL PowerCard (the card that is colored orange) to register online.  If you don't have a PowerCard or prefer to register directly, please call 832-393-2600 to sign up for our exciting programs or register in person when you are next in our library.

      To register online for Clayton Library programs, please visit the HPL online catalog, http://catalog.houstonlibrary.org/search%7Es1.  Search for the word "genealogy".  On the first program that is offered, look to the right for the "Calendar of Events" icon and click on it.

      At the top of the screen and to the right , under "Limit by Location", chose "Clayton" from the drop down box and click on the "check mark" icon.  Note the month at the top of the screen.  If it is not the month you want, go forward by clicking on the ">" sign (over the word "Saturday" on the calendar) or backward by clicking on the "<" sign (over the word "Sunday" on the calendar) until you reach the desired month.

      Find the program you desire to attend and click on it.  On the right side of the screen where you see information about the program, click on the icon with two people in it.  On the next screen, put in your last name and  library card number (with no spaces) and click on the submit button.  You must then select the number of seats you want from the drop down box.  You may add or update your e-mail address or tell the instructor something.  Press the submit button when you are finished.

      The next screen will tell you if your reservation has been confirmed.   If you have provided your e-mail information, you will also receive an e-mail confirmation.  When you have completed the registration, please exit the system by pressing the "logout" button at the top right of the screen.

      If you have any questions on registering online, please 832-393-2600.

      May Programs

      Classes are approximately 1 hour, unless otherwise noted.

      60,000 books you can find online:  the BYU Digital Project
      Saturday, 05/01/2010 3:00-4:00 PM
      Familysearch.org is home to the Family History archives of the Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University.  As a digital book project, the online archives provide access to over 60,000 digital books for the family historian.  Join Doug Hamilton, the lead volunteer of the Clayton part of the project, to learn about this project, and how to search for items and ancestors including resources from Clayton Library.   Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600.  Adults/Teens.

      Preserving your memories to keep you out of a jam
      Tuesday, 05/11/2010 2:00-3:00 PM
      Learn how to store your paper documents, books, and photographs and how to make simple repairs.   Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600.  Adults/Teens.

      Preservation road show
      Saturday, 05/15 /2010 1:00-2:30PM
      Join archivists from the Houston Metropolitan Research Center for "Preservation road show".  An overview of historical document preservation will be discussed with an opportunity to meet with the experts to discuss your specific preservation problem.  Please bring one document for which you would like preservation suggestions.  Reservations required, please call 832-393-2600. Adults/Teens.

      Clayton Library Orientation
      Saturday, 05/15/2010 10:30-11:30 AM
      Learn about the vast resources and how to efficiently utilize genealogical research materials housed at the Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research.  Orientation lasts approximately one hour.  No reservations needed, meet at the Information Desk in the library.

      Additional information about Clayton

      New hours of operation:

      Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
      Wednesday: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
      Friday: closed
      Saturday: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

      We are closed on City of Houston holidays. Click here for the holiday schedule.  http://www.houstonlibrary.org/library-holidays

      To see a listing of the latest genealogical materials at Houston Public Library, choose the "New Genealogy  Titles for Clayton" list here. http://catalog.houstonlibrary.org/ftlist

      If you need driving directions to Clayton from Houston's major freeways, click here.
      http://www.houstonlibrary.org/directions-to-clayton-library

      For more information, visit the Clayton Library webpage. http://www.houstonlibrary.org/clayton

      Have You Read ...
      Looking for your next book? Librarians at Houston Public Library will create a customized reading list for you, based on your exact preferences.

      Ask a Librarian
      Houston Public Library's info 24/7 chat reference service is available
      24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

      NextReads
      We've added newsletters!
      Check out our NextReads Opt-in Page to see what's new.

      If you are having trouble unsubscribing to this newsletter, please contact NextReads at 919-489-3713, 3710 Mayfair Street, Durham, NC 27707

      500 McKinney Street; Houston, Texas 77002; Phone: 832-393-1313

      Copyright 2009 Houston Public Library

      © 2010 EBSCO Publishing, Powered by The Title Source TM