Ancestry Adds 1940-Era City Directories

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2009
      Ancestry Adds 1940-Era City Directories
      Ancestry.com has added to its collection more than 2,000 U.S. city
      directories for 1940 and surrounding years. Forerunners of phone books, city
      directories typically list head of household with address and occupation.
      New York, Los Angeles and Philadelphia are not included. It is possible
      there were no city directories for those cities at that time. The collection
      does include such cities as Baltimore, Boston, Cleveland, Hartford, Miami,
      Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, San Diego and San Francisco. Although Los Angeles is
      not included there are directories for a number adjacent suburbs. The
      directories can be accessed at
      http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1540.

      In the next few weeks, Ancestry.com will be adding to their U.S. Public
      Records Index database more than 525 million names, addresses, ages, and
      possible family relationships of people who lived in the United States
      between roughly 1950 and 1990.

      --
      Web sites I manage -Personal home page, After Hours Band (I play keyboards),
      Gesher Galicia, Greater Houston Jewish Genealogical Society, Woodside Civic