Chicago Jewish Newspaper Online

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2009
      Chicago Jewish Newspaper Online
      Digitized images of the Chicago Jewish newspaper, The Sentinel, are now
      online at http://hannah.spertus.edu:8881/R covering the years 1911-1949. The
      search engine includes an any-word index. When an image is displayed, the
      words searched are highlighted for easy location of the information sought.
      I was able to get the maiden name of a woman who married into the family
      from a 1930 engagement announcement. The search engine is very quick, but
      retrieving the actual page from the edition of the newspaper take a while
      apparently because the edition is searched again to find the data.

      I wish we could do this type of word search with the JHV project. Perhaps I
      will talk with Logan again in August in Philly...

      --
      Web sites I manage -Personal home page, After Hours Band (I play keyboards),
      Gesher Galicia, Greater Houston Jewish Genealogical Society, Woodside Civic