660FW: Nu? What's New? - Vol. 15, No. 12 - March 23, 20 14

    Mar 23, 2014
      Nu? What's New? Vol. 15 No. 12

      MyHeritage Encouraging JGSs To Photograph Local Cemeteries
      Using the argument, if we can do it, so can you, MyHeritage is encouraging Jewish Genealogical Societies to photograph the tombstones of local cemeteries. Recently 80 employees of MyHeritage staff photographed the 51,000 gravestones at the Segula Cemetery in Petah Tikva, Israel. Each photo was uploaded to BillionGraves.com—a MyHeritage partner—along with metadata that included the precise latitude and longitude where the photograph was taken.

      MyHeritage states that the content will be available at no charge to the public at the BillionGraves.com site and on the MyHeritage site as well at http://www.myheritage.com/research.

      Individuals can participate in the project. To take part requires a "smart phone" (iPhone or Android). Then register and download the app at http://billiongraves.com/myheritage.

      P.S. Lynna Kay Shuffield photographed all of the stones for a number of the local Jewish cemeteries and they are on Find-a-grave, including my mom’s.