Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Re: red rump question

  • Kevan Calvert
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
      A question for Terry Martin - the lutinolime mutation - can you express this is another way i.e. give it another name -perhaps an incorrect one, to clarify as to which mutation you are actually referring to.  I have read your book and find it very good, the photos etc are great.  I noticed the lutinolime masked lovebirds and was a little confused as to which ones you meant they were. They looked like light pastel blue masked, perhaps split for ino - is this what you mean?

      Didee
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
        This is not a very good shot of a bird but wondered if you could suggest what it may be, its tummy is paler blue than the normal "pastel blues"
        Didee
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hi Kevin:
          Lime is the Australian equivalent of the European pastel; ideally a bird with a 50 % melanin reduction.
          We would call the morph as on the picture a pastelino blue.
          Note it is not pastel blue/ino, the results are not conform those of a split bird.
          E.g. green/blue X green/blue will give
          green
          green/blue
          blue or two phenotypes.
          Pastel and NSL ino being allelic the results are
          pastelinoblue X pastelino blue:
          blue
          pastelino blue
          albino which are THREE phenotypes.

          "Lime" means file ( the tool) in French, so is not used in Europe.
          Regards,
          Wessel.

        • Kevan Calvert
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
            Thanks Wesell
            you mentioned "albino three phenotypes " can you please explain this.  Thanks. Your help is appreciated. For this pastelino bird to perhaps throw albino chicks what would you suggest it be bred with?
            Regards Kevin
            Lime is the Australian equivalent of the European pastel; ideally a bird with a 50 % melanin reduction.
            We would call the morph as on the picture a pastelino blue.
            Note it is not pastel blue/ino, the results are not conform those of a split bird.
            E.g. green/blue X green/blue will give
            green
            green/blue
            blue or two phenotypes.
            Pastel and NSL ino being allelic the results are
            pastelinoblue X pastelino blue:
            blue
            pastelino blue
            albino which are THREE phenotypes.

            "Lime" means file ( the tool) in French, so is not used in Europe.
            Regards,
            Wessel.

          • Wessel Louw van der Veen
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
              Hi Kevin:

              I should have written:

              E.g. green/blue X green/blue will give
               25 % green                                = visual green
               50 % green/blue                         = visual green
               25 % blue or two phenotypes.     = visual blue
              or 2 phenotypes
                Pastel and NSL ino being allelic the results are
              25 %  pastel blue       = visual pastel blue
              50 %  pastelino blue   = a too light pastel blue
              25 %  albino              = white
              or 3 phenotypes.

              You need at least 2 pastelino blues to be able to breed albino.

              When breeding pastelino against blue you'll get
              50 % blue/pastel and
              50 % blue/ino.
              These birds are visually alike, so you need testpairings to sort out
              the split ino's.

              When breeding it agains a pastel blue you'll get
              50 % pastel blue
              50 % pastelino blue.
              Here again you can visually sort them out.

              Regards,
              Wessel.