RE: [Genetics-Psittacine] Swainson Lorikeets---------Streaky Heads

  • wstobart
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Gideon, I forgot to tell you what to look for. When the chicks develop their secondary down you will see the future 'streakies' by a suffusion of white down around the neck area against the normal grey down. I have had a very 'white' chick fledge with streaks how ever most will not show a streak for at least 6-12 months and then maybe never. Also in the adult birds you may go to find one in your flock and can't because it has 'lost' its streaks. They seem to come and go over time. Very subtle.

      Willy
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
        Hi all

        Thanks again, that is very helpfull.

        Gideon

        --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "wstobart"
        <wstobart@i...> wrote:
        > Gideon, I forgot to tell you what to look for. When the chicks
        develop their
        > secondary down you will see the future 'streakies' by a suffusion
        of white
        > down around the neck area against the normal grey down. I have had
        a very
        > 'white' chick fledge with streaks how ever most will not show a
        streak for
        > at least 6-12 months and then maybe never. Also in the adult birds
        you may
        > go to find one in your flock and can't because it has 'lost' its
        streaks.
        > They seem to come and go over time. Very subtle.
        >
        > Willy
        Streaky
        > Heads
        >

        > Hi Willy and all
        >
        > Thanks for the info, I bought a pair which gave a "funny" chick
        according
        > to the owner, the male has a few streaks and the hen none.
        >
        > Regards
        > Gideon

        Streaky Heads

        > Hi All
        >
        > I was wondering, if the amount of ticks in the head of a
        Streaky
        > Head Swainson Lorikeet would indicate the piedness of the
        split?
        > Also does the streaks always indicate a spilt pied in these
        birds?

        > Could a bird with no streaks still posses the pied gene?
        >
        > Regards
        > Gideon
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/