Cobalt parrotlet

  • Cerise B. Duran
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
      Here is a picture that was copied from a European magazine. I believe the
      magazine might have been printed in the German language. Supposedly the
      magazine states that this is a cobalt Pacific parrotlet next to a blue Pacific
      parrotlet. I don't think we've seen anything like this in the US, so I'm
      hoping that other folks who might have seen this bird or birds like it might
      comment.

      Cerise
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 1999
        Brian and Cerise

        I was waiting to see if we had other comments before giving my two
        cents worth. I agree with Brian about the quality of the photos. From my
        perspective, the 'cobalt' bird could easily be an artefact of development.
        It would be better to see the comparison within the one photo, rather than
        two separate ones that have no doubt been developed separately as well as
        taken under differing conditions.

        All the differences between the two birds could be explained in
        artificial conditions. Yet if the photos are accurate, it could indicate a
        cobalt. The primary mutation would have to be different to anything we have
        seen so far posted for Parrotlets. Brian did say there is talk on the street
        in Europe of true dark factors - this could be the result.

        Terry

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 1999
          Hi Terry,

          You're not the first to suspect tampering with the photo as the cause of the
          resulting cobalt color in the picture. Although I realize that tampering is
          quite possible, I'm hoping that a magazine would not print a fraudulent picture,
          but that may be a bit naive on my part. Their other pictures did look very
          similar to one another, with the dark background and all. In any case, I am
          still holding out for the possibility that there is, in fact, a cobalt (at least
          phenotypically speaking) parrotlet in Europe. This is from a publication that
          predates summer of 1996. I've not been able to find the name of the magazine on
          the copies that I have, but I will try to contact the man who first sent it to
          me to see if he knows the name of the magazine. I will also try for a better
          scan of the "cobalt" bird, along with the others.

          Cerise

        • FisksF2@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 1999
            In a message dated 9/6/99 10:04:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            Brdpatch@... writes:

            << In any case, I am
            still holding out for the possibility that there is, in fact, a cobalt (at
            least
            phenotypically speaking) parrotlet in Europe. This is from a publication
            that
            predates summer of 1996. >>

            If you look on the feet and a bit of the twig in the cobalt photo, you'll see
            a little blue. Maybe the photo was enhanced a little.

            On the other hand, an AFA article in which Eric Antheunisse states
            "...visited Europe in Nov 1997...and observed many other new Pacific
            Parrotlet mutations and their combinations including Blue Fallows, Pieds,
            Yellow-headed Greens (buttercups), and Cobalts just to name a few." (Jan/Feb
            98, p 62)

            Rosemary