Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] new rainbow mutation

  • Andre vd Voorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello Willy,

      Maybe it is a violetgreen.

      With regards,

      Andre van der Voorn
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: wstobart
      Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 12:39 AM
      Subject: [Genetics-Psittacine] new rainbow mutation

      Hi all, this bird was bred recently in a large flock aviary housing normal
      appearing rainbows. It is a very dark blue bird but the reds and yellows
      have remained. The head colour is also totally unexpected. I am totally in
      the dark on this one as it doesn't seem to conform to any of the 'rules' as
      far as blue mutations eliminating psitticine pigments. As the blue is so
      dark I suspect that maybe it has added melanin and structure only in the
      green areas. What is it ???

      Willy

    • wstobart
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        This image shows what is possible with these photo editing programs so
        beware. I assure you all however that any images posted by me (other than
        the "new rainbow mutation") are not altered for colour or contrast. I will
        admit to using image sharpening and after shooting exposure changes
        (brightness) if I had the shakes or the light wasn't too good. I will never
        be in the same league as Cyril Laubscher or Peter Oderken. I am continually
        amazed at how Cyril is able to get his way with such flighty subjects. This
        digital photography business adds a new dimension of enjoyment to my bird
        keeping. I highly recommend it to everyone who keeps birds. I also get a
        real kick out of sharing my birds with everyone in this way.

        Willy

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          Well you had me for a while, it wasn't until last night when my wife mentioned something about april fools day that it clicked. I don't totally hold myself responsible for my gullability, I only received one April fools joke yesterday late in the afternoon so was not in that frame of mind. That's my excuse anyway, plus it's not in my nature to be decietful!! :o)
          Craig.