Re: Hi could someone please reply to this message on parrotletgenetics`s list???

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
      Stephane

      I have had a brief read of the messages and believe you have
      misunderstood what Krissy meant with regards the 'creating of new species'.
      I agree with you that we need to be careful with what we say so that
      beginners do not think new species are being created, but I believe Krissy
      was talking from the perspective of her knowledge in population genetics,
      rather than the avicultural perspective. She is referring to what it takes
      for one species to evolve into another species.

      With regards the Turquoise (Blue) Lineolated, it is clear from her
      website that she has made no effort to access the knowledge available on
      correct naming of mutations. Many colours are listed more than once on her
      pages under different names, depending on what different breeders have told
      her about them. This is unfortunate because it perpetuates the confusion on
      what many of these colours should be called. The problem will never be
      solved by breeders persisting in using inaccurate names.

      She is also perpetuating the use of the inaccurate terms of
      secondary mutations, which she should know better about.

      Terry
    • Tintin_Montreal *
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
        Hi Terry,

        "I agree with you that we need to be careful with what we say so that
        beginners do not think new species are being created, but I believe Krissy
        was talking from the perspective of her knowledge in population genetics,
        rather than the avicultural perspective. She is referring to what it takes
        for one species to evolve into another species."

        I guess that is evolution and so when human are the creator it could
        then be called "artificial evolution". Now I`d like to know... Aren`t
        species recognised seperate by the number of chromosomes they carry in
        cells? Or is it different in the birds and/or psittacine`s kingdom? Ex. Or
        is it different genus wich have different numbers rather than species???
        Also if 2 birds or animals wich have different numbers of chromososes is the
        number one factor why some hybrids aren`t fertile or is related to another
        phenomenon? I already know that i<to much inbreeding can lead to unfertility
        but I have always been curious to learn wich is the cause of unfertility
        regarding hybridisation but until now haven`t found any infos about that...

        Also since breeds are produced over several years of "artifical
        evolution" but mostly amoung birds & animals of same species and sometimes
        trough hybridisation of sub-species; I guess their chromosomes number don`t
        change???

        Happy New Year to You & Every Birdie on the list, may all your wishes
        come true and may peace, love, happiness, prosperity & nest full of babies
        fill your life :-)

        Ruby Eyes Aviaries,
        St├ęphane aka Tintin.

        "You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
        - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

        >From: "Terry Martin" <sbankvet@...>
        >To: <Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Genetics-Psittacine] Re: Hi could someone please reply to this
        >message on parrotletgenetics`s list???
        >Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:37:39 +1000
        >
        >Stephane
        >
        > I have had a brief read of the messages and believe you have
        >misunderstood what Krissy meant with regards the 'creating of new species'.
        >I agree with you that we need to be careful with what we say so that
        >beginners do not think new species are being created, but I believe Krissy
        >was talking from the perspective of her knowledge in population genetics,
        >rather than the avicultural perspective. She is referring to what it takes
        >for one species to evolve into another species.
        >
        > With regards the Turquoise (Blue) Lineolated, it is clear from her
        >website that she has made no effort to access the knowledge available on
        >correct naming of mutations. Many colours are listed more than once on her
        >pages under different names, depending on what different breeders have told
        >her about them. This is unfortunate because it perpetuates the confusion on
        >what many of these colours should be called. The problem will never be
        >solved by breeders persisting in using inaccurate names.
        >
        > She is also perpetuating the use of the inaccurate terms of
        >secondary mutations, which she should know better about.
        >
        > Terry

      • Tintin_Montreal *
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
          Hi again Terry,
          sorry for double-post every birdie but I forgot to ask... Terry do you
          intend on joing (at least temporarly) the parrotletgenetics group? In order
          to tell the Owner as well as members of the group what you know about the
          subject of "creating new species"???

          Best regards,
          Ruby Eyes Aviaries,
          St├ęphane aka Tintin.

          "You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
          - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

          >From: "Terry Martin" <sbankvet@...>
          >To: <Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [Genetics-Psittacine] Re: Hi could someone please reply to this
          >message on parrotletgenetics`s list???
          >Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:37:39 +1000
          >
          >Stephane
          >
          > I have had a brief read of the messages and believe you have
          >misunderstood what Krissy meant with regards the 'creating of new species'.
          >I agree with you that we need to be careful with what we say so that
          >beginners do not think new species are being created, but I believe Krissy
          >was talking from the perspective of her knowledge in population genetics,
          >rather than the avicultural perspective. She is referring to what it takes
          >for one species to evolve into another species.
          >
          > With regards the Turquoise (Blue) Lineolated, it is clear from her
          >website that she has made no effort to access the knowledge available on
          >correct naming of mutations. Many colours are listed more than once on her
          >pages under different names, depending on what different breeders have told
          >her about them. This is unfortunate because it perpetuates the confusion on
          >what many of these colours should be called. The problem will never be
          >solved by breeders persisting in using inaccurate names.
          >
          > She is also perpetuating the use of the inaccurate terms of
          >secondary mutations, which she should know better about.
          >
          > Terry

          Discutez en ligne avec vos amis, essayez MSN Messenger :
          http://messenger.msn.fr/