Breeding results?

  • GETBabyBird@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      I have 2 Par-ino, the parents are: male Lutino and the hen a Par-ino. Are these two visual Par-inos males? or hens?

      Thanks - Gayle

    • Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hello Gayle do you mean that the Par-ino is what we used to call Lacewing, (Pallid)?
        If so then the two chicks will be Yellowheaded Cinnamon (Pallidino?) and both
        will be cock birds.
        Regards Grant

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi Grant - Yes, what we used to call Lacewings. I was getting confused on this, since I thought (that's what I get for thinking :-) that Par-ino, or Lacewing or Pallid was sex-linked and was confused on this point. I was going with the Ino sex link, which I guess is different than the Par-ino or Lacewing or Pallid sex link? Also where does the Cinnamon come in? Is the Yellowhead really a cinnamon?

          Also, if you take a Blue Par-Ino-Lacewing-Pallid and breed to a gray hen would you get any Gray Par-Ino-Lacewing-Pallid? Or would it be better to breed to a Blue or a Turq Cinn?

          Thanks Grant for answering my question. Now I threw in quite a few more. I joined this list to learn more but I cannot keep all the different names of the mutations straight ... maybe just getting to old to learn!

          Thanks again - Gayle

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            Gayle asked

            >Hi Grant - Yes, what we used to call Lacewings. I was getting confused on
            >this, since I thought (that's what I get for thinking :-) that Par-ino, or
            >Lacewing or Pallid was sex-linked and was confused on this point.

            It is only necessary to use one of the optional names for it, if you
            add too many into the name, people might think there are extra mutations
            involved. For clarity, you can place the old name in brackets after the new
            name. It is sex-linked, no different to any other sex-linked mutation, but
            has an extra genetic relationship to the Lutino. This means it is in effect
            an altered Lutino gene and when one Pallid gene and one lutino gene are
            present in the same bird (has to be male to have 2 X chromosomes) the result
            is a blend of the two mutations - what Grant called a Pallidino.

            > I was going
            >with the Ino sex link, which I guess is different than the Par-ino or
            >Lacewing or Pallid sex link? Also where does the Cinnamon come in? Is the
            >Yellowhead really a cinnamon?

            There is no cinnamon in a "Yellowhead Cinnamon", that is why the
            name is not applicable and we are calling them by other names, in this case
            Pallidino. It is not a seperate mutation and it is not a standard
            combination of mutations. It is a pairing of two different, but related
            mutations.

            >Also, if you take a Blue Par-Ino-Lacewing-Pallid and breed to a gray hen
            >would you get any Gray Par-Ino-Lacewing-Pallid?

            Yes, you would breed a percentage of Grey Par-ino hens.

            >Or would it be better to
            >breed to a Blue or a Turq Cinn?

            No, it would not be a good thing to mix cinnamon into the equation,
            it will only complicate things further for you.

            Unfortunately, many of the names originally given to IRN mutations
            are wrong for very basic reasons and the process of re-eduction will always
            be slow and painful. But it is unavoidable and we have to help people learn
            the new names.