Down color in Ringneck Parrakeets?

  • kent_benton@anco-basic.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      Ive been raising Indian Ringnecks for 20+ years and have never seen
      down on an Indian Ringneck Parrakeet chick. Although the Alexandrian
      Ringneck Parrakeet does have some down. It is yellowish on green
      chicks, Buff colored on fallow and whitish on Blues. Kent.
    • Deon Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
        I agree. IR babies have no down and are born stark naked and stay that way until their pins emerge.

        Deon

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001

          From: Jaynee Salan Pieds1usa@...

          Hi Kent - I see down color on my IRN chicks every year but not until the
          post crop milk stage, at +14 days. They will stay flesh colored and naked
          until the pigment cells move up just under the surface of their skin and
          tiny feather buds start to appear, then I see down covering most of the
          lower half of their bodies. It's a soft, thin, fuzzy layer of down. At
          that point I can, to some degree, see potential feather color meaning the
          visual blues get snow white down, the birds that have inherited yellow
          pigment will have a slight yellow cast to their down, the cream whites will
          have off white cream color and the Turquoise and Dark Factors will get a
          grayish cream color cast to their down.

          None of the down colors I see are proof of their inheritance, just subtle
          indicators that they have polygenic inheritance or multiple gene
          inheritance. For instance, in 1990 I was fortunate in raising the first
          Blue-Violet-Grey-White-Pied (this was as close as I could come to a formal
          name at the time) and later that bird turned out to actually be a
          Violet-Mauve-Turquoise-Pied because of the multitude of colors he fathered
          when he matured and today he's still actively producing beautiful variations
          of what he inherited.

          Jaynee Salan
          Website: www.piedringnecksUSA.com