Re: Multiple Recessive Ino alleles in the IR?

  • Babu Chauhan
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
      --- In Genetics-Psittacine@egroups.com, "Deon Smith" <deon@d...>
      wrote:
      > Let me add that I asked Kiepie to pair these NSL Ino's to
      Buttercup.
      He
      > seems much more interested to pair them with Blue and Turquoise at
      this
      > time.
      >
      > I shall also collect feathers of them for Inte to examine.
      >
      > Deon
      Dear Deon,
      I have also got NSL, this bird is wild taken cock. When it was paired
      to Lutino hen all the chicks were green. The difference between the
      two type is that the neck ring of NSL is brick red instead of
      pink.
      I also have a true fallow cock bird from the wild, the bird looks
      exactly like a clearhed, without a yellow head. The eyes are Plum and
      the body is same as Clearhead(Buttercup).

      Babu Chauhan.
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2000
        Deon

        I have a few thoughts on your earlier posting, but am far too busy
        with work at present to reply to them. I will post them as soon as time
        allows.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2001
          Deon

          As promised, I have come back to this posting to discuss the results

          >1974: Ino X Ino
          >
          >2 Green males ( /NSL Ino/SL Ino)
          >
          >1975: Ino X Ino
          >
          >3-1 Green( /NSL Ino/SL Ino)
          >
          >Then for the next three years, he paired these heterozygotic cocks to SL
          >Lutino hens and bred Greens and Lutino's of both sexes, but also three
          >Dilute males. He states the hens were pure SL Lutino's.

          Were the SL lutino hens from the same source as the original birds,
          or another source. The only way to explain the 'dilute' cocks if they are
          recessive, is if the hens were split as well as the cocks. Or else they
          would have to be alleles of the SL ino.

          >One of the Dilute cocks were paired to a normal wildtype Green and produced
          >two Lutino hens, and Greens of both sexes.
          >
          >The next year this Dilute/SL Ino cock was paired to a SL Ino/dilute
          sister,
          >and it produced
          >
          >First year one NSL Ino that died soon thereafter
          >
          >Next year One NSL Ino cock and one Dilute hen
          >
          >A Green/NSL Ino/SL Ino X Green/dilute pairing produced NSL Ino, Green and
          >Dilutes.
          >
          >I have not seen these NSL Ino's but shall travel to Bloemfontein soon when
          >time permits to take photos when I shall publish them to the List.

          One difficulty in interpreting these results, is being certain in
          the identification of NSL ino birds. Unless offspring are test mated, we
          cannot assume they are NSL ino and not SL ino.

          Also to go back to the first pairings, the 'dilute' allele could not
          be allelic for a NSL locus because one parent was supposed to be NSL ino,
          therefore would have two genes for NSL ino and no room for another allele
          (dilute). If 'dilute' was allelic for NSL ino, it could not be carried by
          the NSL ino birds. Therefore the possibilities for the 'dilute' are.

          1) It is a mutant of a different locus - carried hidden by the ino
          phenotypes - could be either parent in the original pairings, not just the
          NSL inos

          2) The original NSL ino phenotype was actually a combination colour
          between 'dilute' and a second mutant which has not be discovered in the
          mix - seems least likely

          3) The 'dilute' mutant arose spontaneously and has nothing to do with
          the original strange results.

          Suggestions for matings to establish what is happening

          Need to establish a true breeding NSL ino line, free of SL ino and
          'dilute'

          Test mate 'dilute' and 'buttercup' as you suggest.

          Test mate both with NSL ino, but must have pure NSL ino first.
          Results above suggest all NSL ino birds would be carrying both SL ino and
          'dilute' alleles.

          I am interested in your observations and photos of the birds when
          you are able to observe them. It is an interesting problem to sort out

          Terry
        • Deon Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2001
            Terry

            Thanks for your reply.

            I am unfortunately leaving for Namibia for a fortnight and will only then be in a position to comment.

            Everyone, keep well!

            Deon