turquoise parrotlets

  • me
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2013
      Can anyone tell me if turquoise is dominant or recessive in parrotlets? If I pair a turquoise to blue bird, will any of their offspring be turquoise?
    • Dilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
        Turquoise alone is recessive; You need two turquoise parents (one may be a
        carrier) to get a baby turquoise.

        But, since Turquoise do not have its own locus (place), it uses the locus of
        the Blue. Thus, when Blue is present with Turquoise, both mutations have to
        share the same locus, and the Turquoise can be considered as co-dominant
        with blue: One allele Turquoise and one allele Blue.
        In your specific case, pairing a Turquoise and a Blue parrotlet you will get
        Turquoise-and-Blue parrotlets, referred to as TurquoiseBlue.

        The possible allele combinations are:

        -Green and Turquoise: a green parrotlet, split to turquoise.
        -Turquoise and turquoise: a homozygous Turquoise parrotlet.
        -Turquoise and blue: a heterozygous TurquoiseBlue parrotlet (written with
        both names together, to indicate co-dominance).

        Pairings:

        1- Pairing a Turquoise to a Turquoise:
        100% Turquoise babies.

        2- Pairing a Green to a Turquoise:
        100% Green/Turquoise.

        3- Pairing a Green to a TurquoiseBlue:
        50% Green/Blue,
        50% Green/Turquoise.

        4- Pairing a Green to a Green/Turquoise
        50% Green
        50% Green/Turquoise

        5- Pairing a Green/Turquoise to a Green/Turquoise:
        50% Green/Turquoise babies,
        25% Green,
        25% Turquoise.

        6- Pairing a Green/Turquoise to a TurquoiseBlue:
        25% Turquoise,
        25% TurquoiseBlue,
        25% Green/Blue,
        25% Green/Turquoise.

        7- Pairing a green/turquoise with a blue:
        50% TurquoiseBlue,
        50% green/blue.

        8- Pairing a Green/Turquoise to a Turquoise
        50% Green/Turquoise,
        50% Turquoise

        9- Pairing a Turquoise to a Blue:
        100% TurquoiseBlue.

        10- Pairing a TurquoiseBlue to a TurquoiseBlue:
        50% TurquoiseBlue,
        25% Turquoise,
        25% Blue.

        11- Pairing a Turquoise to a TurquoiseBlue:
        50% Turquoise,
        50% TurquoiseBlue.

        Pairings 3, 4, 5, and 6 should be avoided as it will be impossible to
        identify the genetics of the green baby birds without test-mating them.

        The Turquoise mutation may be combined with any other mutations. Example:
        American Yellow Turquoise
        American White Turquoise
        Fallow TurquoiseBlue
        Pied Turquoise, and etc.

        As an exception, the Lutino Turquoise is visually pure Lutino; Turquoise
        will be hidden, even though it is there and it is transmissible to the
        descendants.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013

          No problem, man.

          I learned all this here; this site is a life-saver.

          Dilson

          Miami/FL/USA