Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Re: Cinnamon and Darkwing

  • truckerdallas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2013
      Hi Ken, thanks for the great information. Do you mind if I post this on the Budgerigar Genetics group on FaceBook? Thanks,

      Goerge Hollingsworth
      ---- Ken <kyorke@...> wrote:
      Doc,
      BLACK EYE
      The true black-eye is the recessive Dilute gene. These are yellow with pale green suffusion (sometimes called Suffused Yellows) and pale grey markings. This also exists in other parrots. In Australia, 99% of black-eyes on the exhibition bench are actually Cinnamon Dilute. In addition the really skilled breeders have added two unnamed modifier genes to them to reduce body suffusion and decrease marking depth resulting in a brighter yellow bird with very little suffusion and paler grey markings (a bad Cinnamon one will shown a faint hint of brown in the markings).

      DARKWING
      Is a partial dominant modifier gene which partially increases depth of markings on birds which would otherwise have paler markings. At present Darkwing is only known to interact with Dilute, Clearwing and Greywing. It is NOT a multiple allele in this family however. This gene is unique to budgerigars. It has no effect on body colour. The only standardised combination for exhibitions is the Darkwing Dilute and Cinnamon Darkwing Dilute and the above two combined with Opaline. Darkwing Clearwing and Darkwing Greywing exist but are rarely bred and are not standardised as they can be easily confused for bad greywings. Darkwing Dilute is a yellow bird suffused with pale green and very dark grey markings. The homozygous Darkwing has markings which are slightly darker (almost black) than the heterozygous Darkwing. Cinnamon Darkwings have brown markings, the homozygous being being darker (equivalent to a cinnamon normal) than the heterozygous. It is possible to have genetically Darkwing Normals but they are phenotypicaly identical to Normals.

      BROWNWING
      Extremely rare variety which has very slight reduction in body colour and extremely dark brown markings. In some birds the brown is so dark it is difficult to distinguish from off-black. It is recessive. I believe it is unique to budgerigars.

      CLEARBODY
      At present there is Texas Clearbody and Easley Clearbody. There were other clearbody mutations which are now extinct. The Texas is the more common.
      The Texas gene is a multiple allele of the Ino gene. It's equivalent in other parrots is Pallid (or sometimes called Lime). It is a yellow bird suffused with green. The primary flights are grizzled (which sometimes gives the impression of very dark grey or silver but is actually black markings grizzled with yellow or white). Homozygous cocks generally have less green suffusion than heterozygous cocks. The addition of opaline and/or cinnamon also helps to reduce the green suffusion. In Australia Cinnamon Texas are not standardised for exhibitions. The cinnamon form merely has brown markings instead of black.
      The Easley is rarer and is a partial dominant gene. I believe it is unique to budgerigars. The heterozygous bird is a yellow bird very very heavily suffused with green to the point where you would call it a green bird rather than yellow. The markings are black. The homozygous bird is much more yellow in body and has very jet black markings. Cinnamon forms of Easley would be extremely rare.

      Hope that helps. I know you have a copy of my Budgerigar Bible book where there are some photos and more detailed info.

      K Yorke
      http://bit.ly/yorkestuff