genetics

  • Recio Joaquin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
      Hi everybody,

      One question about genetics:

      How could we make the difference between a recessive mutation and an
      incomplete dominant mutation with very low expressivity (under our
      perception threshold)? Of course ... in our aviaries, not in a lab.

      Thanks

      Recio
    • XP 2600
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
        For me there is no difference, as being split to a recessive mutation usually show some signs, even if its hard for human eye to detect.
        Imam

        --
        Imam
        MCSA MCSE
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
          Isn't a visual split bird not actually a low expressity incomplete dominant mutation?
          And in that point of view, does recessive mutations exist?

          Kind regards,

          André van der Voorn

          Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:56 PM
          Subject: [Genetics-Psittacine] genetics

          Hi everybody,

          One question about genetics:

          How could we make the difference between a recessive mutation and an
          incomplete dominant mutation with very low expressivity (under our
          perception threshold)? Of course ... in our aviaries, not in a lab.

          Thanks

          Recio

          Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
          Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
          Versie: 2013.0.2741 / Virusdatabase: 2614/5833 - datum van uitgifte: 10/15/12

        • Recio Joaquin
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
            Hi André,

            For sure both exist ... but how to make the difference? Any input from geneticists?

            Regards

            Recio

            Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:56 PM

            Gecontroleerd door AVG - http://www.avg.com/
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2012
              Hi Recio,

              I have no idea to prove or disprove these both models.

              Kind regards,

              André

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2012
                Hi Imam,

                There are two important differences:

                1. Conceptually it is not the same a gene keeping a partial function although our eyes can not detect it (incomplete dominant with low expressivity) than a gene with a complete lost of function (recessive mutation, due to a major nucleotide change, spliced gene, translocation, ...). In the first case the underlying genetic change is minimal, and we can obtain homoalleles of this mutation. In the second case there is a major change in the nucleotide sequence, with complete lost of function, and non possibility of "correction" by back mutation.

                2. Phenotytpically: in the case of recessive mutations we can not detect the afected gene in heterozygous birds (split birds) because it is not expressed. In the case of a incomplete dominant mutation with low expressivity we could be able to detect this low expressivity in the case we "add" other mutations acting on another enzyme in the same metabolic pathway, so that the little effect of this mutation could become apparent by a "multiplicating" effect due to the second mutation.

                ... but this is just theory and I would like to know if somebody could further contribute ... may be Terry?
                Has anybody tried to "separate" this two inheritance modes or are they both classed together as "mainly recessive"?

                Regards

                Recio