Heirarchical classification of budgie mutations.

  • docnoakes16
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2012
      I understand there are four classes of mutation used to describe parrot phenotypes for exhibition;

      1. structural (eg violet and dark)
      2. pigment (eg melanin such as cinnamon and psittacofulvin such as blue)
      3. pattern (eg spangle, opaline and pied)
      4. gross structural (eg crested, helicopter)

      As far as I can see the system used by the World Budgerigar Organisation and its associated societies is based on an archaic set of established varieties that is somewhat discriminatory. Eg. violets are exhibited as blues but greygreens have their own class. Also, is it an Opaline pied or a Pied opaline? Why? What about a cinnamon opaline yellowface versus a cinnamon opaline olive versus a cinnamon opaline cobalt?

      My questions are thus;

      1. What systems are used for exhibition of other parrots?
      2. Is there a hierarchical system used in other parrot species for exhibition eg. pigment then structure then pattern?
      3. If so what is this based on?
      4. Is there an international standard hierarchy for classification and nomenclature of subspecies in parrots?

      If you can direct me to peer reviewed literature would be nice :)

      Thanks