Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Fw: BEC or DEC

  • Recio Joaquin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2012
      Hi everybody;

      The combination of heterozygous dominant pied and homozygous recessive pied in IRN has been reported to be a bird with far more piedness than the dom or the recessive pied alone, but not a clear bird.

      The homozygous dominant pied, following Chris results, seems to be able to produce clear birds (black eye yellow) in IRN. So, at least in IRN, the clear bird in the combination of homozygous dom pied + homozygous rec pied seems to be due, in fact, just to the homozygous dom pied.

      Anyway it seems that there are several types of dom pied and I do not know if all of them behave similar. Could you highlight us Deon?

      Regards

      Recio

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2012
        Hi Recio

        Do you know of the existence of Dom Pied  Recessive Pied combo's, with Dom Pied in either heterozygous or homozygous  forms? If so, do you have photos?

        Per definition a BEC is produced by combining dominant clearflight (Dutch Pied) with a recessive pied (Danish Pied)

        I am not sure if this view still holds or whether it is obsolete, maybe the budgerigar people can enlighten us.

        Deon Smith

        To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2012
          Hi Deon;

          I do not have any pic.

          The existence of increased piedness by combining heterozygous dom pied with rec pied in IRN was described by Terry several years ago.

          The effect of homozygous dom pied resulting in a clear bird was shown by Chris several months ago, and thus we should say incomplete dominant pied instead of dom pied (at least in IRN)

          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2012
            Recio

            I don’t think there are ADM Pieds in Australia. Definitely in the UK where there are Dom Pieds as well but what they have is shrouded in mystery.

            Deon

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2012
              I Deon,

              I was not meaning that Terry made this observation himself but that he reported it. I do not know where/who made it.