Re: Interesting piece about genetics of budgerigars

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      That was certainly an interesting article to help put things into
      perspective and help explain some of the problems we have to deal with now.

      Their arguments about extrapolating exact locus function from the
      function lost by mutant colour morphs are important to consider.

      However statements like
      >"We shall refer to mutated genes as actual genes producing definite
      >effects, and not as absences of biochemical processes

      Have lead to our current situation where many breeders think a gene
      controlling a lutino mutation is creating yellow colour, etc. At the most
      basic level of learning about colour morphs this idea is acceptable, but not
      if we are truely trying to understand what is happening under the influence
      of various mutations, nor if we wish to explore the action of a single locus
      across more than one species.

      It also creates confusion for breeders if we concentrate only on
      phenotypes because many different but distinct genotypes create similar
      phenotypes, particularly when our study crosses multiple species.

      If the authors had known of the vast array of mutations in so many
      species of birds that we have today, their approach may have been a little
      different.

      So whilst it is a good point to remember that the precise point of
      action of a particular wildtype allele cannot always be identified fully, we
      have progressed beyond the simplistic view suggested in the article.