Pacific parrotlet

  • dilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010

      Group, I need your help, again.

      I recently purchased this parrotlet as a “turquoise split to blue”; is this correct? Can the turquoise parrotlet carry blue? What is the mode of inheritance?

      Thank-you in advance.

      Dilson/Miami/FL/USA

    • Carie Nixon
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2010
        Re: [Genetics-Psittacine] Pacific parrotlet
        I believe you would really call it a turquoise blue, not turquoise split to blue.  The bird would have one gene each of blue and turquoise.  They are alleles and the color would be intermediate between the two.

        Carie in Illinois

        Group, I need your help, again.

        I recently purchased this parrotlet as a "turquoise split to blue"; is this correct? Can the turquoise parrotlet carry blue? What is the mode of inheritance?
        Thank-you in advance.

        Dilson/Miami/FL/USA

      • Wessel Louw van der Veen
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010
          Hi Dilson.

          Turquoise/blue is incorrect, turquoise being an allele of blue.
          Most likely it will be of an intermediate colour.
          The mode of inheritance is aurosomal recessive.

          In most of Europe we describe the combination of turquoise and blue as
          TurquoiseBlue, as we do with other bi-allelic fenotypes:
          aqua and turquoise but AquaTurquoise
          pallid and (SL) ino but PallidIno,
          pastel and (NSL) ino but PastelIno,
          pastel, dec *, but PastelDec,
          dec, (NSL) ino, but DecIno.
          * dec = dark eyed clear.
          Capitalising the mutation names, then writing them as one word, clearly
          indicates the combination is a fenotype, not a mutation.

          Breeding results to be expected:
          TurquoiseBlue X TurquoiseBlue:
          25 % turquoise
          50 % TurquoiseBlue
          25 % blue

          TurquoiseBlue X turquoise:
          50 % TurquoiseBlue
          50 % turquoise

          TurquoiseBlue x blue:
          50 % TurquoiseBlue
          50 % blue

          Regards,
          Wessel van der Veen.
        • dilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010

            Thank-you, Vessel van der Veen. I am saving your information.

            Let's see if I understood:

            A visual Blue cannot carry neither Turquoise nor TurquoiseBlue;

            a visual Turquoise     has one allele "Turquoise" and the other allele is "wild" (green);

            a visual TurquoiseBlue has one allele "Turquoise" and the other allele is "blue";

            If my assumption is correct, then the crossing Turquoise X Blue will give me 100% TurquoiseBlue babies.

            Dilson/Miami/FL/USA

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:

                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:

                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

                Genetics-Psittacine-digest@yahoogroups.com

                Genetics-Psittacine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • William Stobart
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010

              a visual Turquoise     has one allele "Turquoise" and the other allele is "wild" (green);

              I disagree with this statement. Please correct me if I am wrong but a visual turquoise will have two turquoise genes at the locus shared with blue. A bird with one turquoise gene and a wild type gene at this locus is a split turquoise. Turquoise is recessive in green series birds and is dominant in blue series birds because its genes can only occur at the same locus that blue genes can occur. Most breeders are unaware that a visual turquoise has no blue genes in its DNA. A visual turquoise is ‘less blue’ in colouration than a turquoiseblue but in some species very hard to identify and commonly misnamed as ‘double factor’ turquoise.

              Willy

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Genetics- Psittacine/

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Genetics- Psittacine/ join

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  Genetics-Psittacine -digest@yahoogro ups.com

                  Genetics-Psittacine -fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                  http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

            • Mick Blake [Exotic Parrots & Karmic Aviar
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010
                Hi Willy ,

                yes but you a little of on saying "and is dominant in blue series birds" as it is real co-dominant with blue, as blue and turquoise are mutiple alleles toward each other  as this means that turquoise can not be dominant over blue but can only allele itself with blue making only one or the other that can resisted in the same place on the geneome,

                Mick

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010

                  Fascinating.

                  It follows that a parrotlet may be visual green and split to turquoise.

                  Dilson/Miami/FL/USA

[...]

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                • William Stobart
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 8, 2010

                    Yes and to correct myself for what Mick has pointed out, turquoise acts co-dominant or incomplete dominant in blue series birds. That is to say there are two phenotypes depending on whether one or two turquoise genes are present. A green series bird with only one turquoise gene is normal split for turquoise. I hope to breed a turquoise violet green IRN this year from a turquoise to a turquoise violet green pallid (‘df pastel violet lacewing’). It should be a darker than violet green bird with violet coloured flights and tail.

                    Willy

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                      Hi Dilson:

                      You wrote:
                      > A visual Blue cannot carry neither Turquoise nor TurquoiseBlue>>
                      Correct
                      > a visual Turquoise has one allele "Turquoise" and the other allele is
                      "wild" (green)>>
                      Wrong: it has two alleles turquoise. Turquoise being recessive it has to
                      be present twice to become visible.
                      > a visual TurquoiseBlue has one allele "Turquoise" and the other allele is
                      "blue">>
                      Correct.
                      > If my assumption is correct, then the crossing Turquoise X Blue will give me
                      100% TurquoiseBlue babies>>.
                      Correct.
                      Being alleles means that the two expressions of a gene are found on the
                      same locus of a pair of chromosomes. A pair is two, there are two loci.
                      So
                      bl / bl = blue
                      bl*tq / bl*tq = turquoise
                      bl* tq / bl = TurquoiseBlue
                      (*tq means tq in superscript, an allele is normally written in superscipt)

                      Wessel van der Veen.
                    • Wessel Louw van der Veen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                        Hi again:

                        Indeed a green bird can be split to either turquoise or blue
                        but not to both at the same time.

                        bl*+ / bl*+ = green.
                        The "+ in superscript" is used to denote the wild allele c.q.
                        the not mutated one.
                        Then:
                        bl*+ / bl = green/blue
                        bl*+ /bl*tq = green/turquoise.