Hybrid Macaw - Ideas?

  • monicanfids
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 3 10:01 AM
      There's a person who lives in Pembrokeshire, South Wales and adopted two parrots - a hybrid macaw and an amazon. They came together. No one has been able to decide for sure what type of hybrid this is. Any guesses?

      This macaw has some unusual features...
      Deep Tear-Drop Eyering
      No bare facial patch
      Dark feathers at the forehead/above the cere
      Dark feathers below the beak
      Completely green head, otherwise
      Breast/flight/tail colorations most like a B&G
      Could be just me but the tail seems a tad short for a macaw

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8300001.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8300038.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8300112.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8301300.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8301307.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8301313.jpg

      Any guesses on the type of hybrid?
    • Gene Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 3 10:59 AM
        Severe and Blue and Gold ??

        Gene Hall

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 3 11:02 AM
          Second guess, maybe better...Patagonian x Blue and Gold

          Gene Hall
          HIS Birds
          "and they shall rise up on wings as eagles"

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 3 11:06 AM
            My guess would be a cross between a B&G and one of the Mini Macaws--Noble, Hahn's or Yellow collared.  Here is a link showing some of the different species of Macaws, including the ones I mentioned.

            And then, perhaps these are the parents (not really, but saw this pic and thought it applied).

            Among all the hybridized breeds of birds, the macaw hybrids break my heart the most.

            Linda Brandt
            Ohio - USA

            There's a person who lives in Pembrokeshire, South Wales and adopted two parrots - a hybrid macaw and an amazon. They came together. No one has been able to decide for sure what type of hybrid this is. Any guesses?

            This macaw has some unusual features...
            Deep Tear-Drop Eyering
            No bare facial patch
            Dark feathers at the forehead/above the cere
            Dark feathers below the beak
            Completely green head, otherwise
            Breast/flight/tail colorations most like a B&G
            Could be just me but the tail seems a tad short for a macaw

            Any guesses on the type of hybrid?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

          • Matt Schmit
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 3 11:17 AM
              My guess is Blue and Gold and Red-fronted.  Red-fronted Macaws have the small tear-drop shaped eye ring...

              Matt Schmit
              aves75@...
              http://www.loriinae.com

              Help support the Kuhl's Lory project.  Visit http://www.lorysociety.com/kuhls.htm for more information

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 3 11:36 AM

                Linda, none of the mini-macaws have the tear-drop eye-ring. A hybrid with a mini-macaw should result in a hybrid with a facial patch to some degree - or so it is assumed. There are scarlets x severe (if I recall correctly) hybrids, but I have not seen the photos and do not have access to them.

                Gene, the predominant guesses thus far have been B&G and Patagonian, or B&G and Red Front, or perhaps a B&G x Red Front x Patagonian. Me, personally, I'm leaning towards the Patty x B&G but didn't want to mention anything to see if anyone came up with the same guess.

                Here's a hahns x sun conure
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/071.jpg

                And a hahns x nanday (supposedly also jenday)
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/Hahnsday.jpg

                To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 3 12:02 PM
                  It looks like a Patagonian that may have been in a nuclear reactor accident.

                  My guess is it is a red front macaw crossed with a blue and gold.
                • Monica M.C.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 3 12:19 PM
                    Those crosses are known as "Maui Sunset" hybrids... and if you look at *ALL* of these crosses, none of them come close to this hybrid... all have the token "red ears" of a red front, and all are orange birds.... not yellow... and all have facial patches with lines.

                    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=maui+sunset+macaw&m=text

                    To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jrs1030@...
                    Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:02:57 -0400

                    It looks like a Patagonian that may have been in a nuclear reactor accident.

                    My guess is it is a red front macaw crossed with a blue and gold.

                  • Joel Hutto
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 3 6:07 PM
                    It almost looks like a hybrid with a patagonian conure and a blue and gold macaw.

                    Message 10 of 20 , Oct 4 5:55 PM
                      What are the chances of this being a hybrid of three species?
                      Cindy

                      aves75@loriinae. com

                      Message 11 of 20 , Oct 4 8:58 PM
                        Keyword: Small

                        I don't know for sure, but there's a possibility that Red Front Macaws are not available in the UK. If this is true, then that would rule out RFM's as a possible parent. Still, lets do some comparison pics.

                        Chaz, the hybrid macaw
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8300038.jpg
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/S8301300.jpg

                        Red Front Macaw
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/2857172835/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/3339197599/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/redfrontmama/3095332167/

                        Patagonian Conure
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrid073/2403295209/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/z_las/281913752/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenarttellen/3091149894/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/2522129854/

                        RFM & Patty (some B&G too)
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/3819812565/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/3796856660/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/2935028475/

                        Now about those RFM x B&G aka Maui Sunset hybrids...
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/xomissi/3850400458/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/macaw_crazy/3277186261/

                        As you might be able to tell from photos, an RFM hybrid seems a bit unlikely... and a Patty more likely...

                        To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 12 of 20 , Oct 4 9:08 PM
                          That's a possibility, depending on what parrots *ARE* available within the UK.

                          The Fiesta Macaw is 3/8 B&G, 3/8 Scarlet, and 1/4 Greenwing.The Flame Macaw is another example, being 1/2 GW, 1/4 Scarlet, 1/4 B&G.

                          There are other 3 way combinations of hybrids, some 4 way hybrids even (I'm sure), but the most common are the B&G, Scarlet, and GW hybrids...
                          http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/macaws/HybridMacaws.php

                          To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com

                        • MysteryPickles@aol.com
                          Message 13 of 20 , Oct 5 7:10 AM
                            <<It almost looks like a hybrid with a patagonian conure and a blue and gold macaw.>>

                            True, it does...but does a conure x macaw cross really produce viable young? That surprises me!

                            Nicole
                          • Gene Hall
                            Message 14 of 20 , Oct 5 7:19 AM
                              There have been questions for years regarding the status of Patagonians as Conures.

                              Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5 11:56 AM
                                I've previously linked to a sun x hahns, a nanday x hahns (supposedly jenday, too), I've come across references to two hahns x blue crown conures, and a noble x mitred conure.

                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/071.jpg
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/MonicaNFids/Hybrids/Hahnsday.jpg

                                http://www.voren.com/articles/popular-conures-and-their-breeding-habits/
                                Green Conure Group
                                The first group, and the largest in body size of those commonly available, is the green conure group. These are classified scientifically under the genus name Aratinga. (The macaws are classified under the name Ara, and these large green conures are, as the name implies, very closely related to the macaws. This relationship has been demonstrated by the fact that hybrid offspring from a cross between a noble macaw and a mitred conure have produced fertile eggs.)

                                I do believe that both B&G's and Patty's are available in the UK, and a cross between the two wouldn't surprise me... it's a question of whether or not it can be proven that this is the hybrid we are seeing.

                                To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
                                From: MysteryPickles@...
                                Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:10:39 -0400

                                <<It almost looks like a hybrid with a patagonian conure and a blue and gold macaw.>>

                                True, it does...but does a conure x macaw cross really produce viable young? That surprises me!

                                Nicole

                              • Stephane
                                Message 16 of 20 , Oct 22 8:52 AM

                                  Hey Every Birdie,
                                  I am also of opinion that it looks like an Ara ararauna (Blue & Gold Macaw) X Cyanoliseus patagonius (Patagonian Conure) Hybrid. I'm quite sure that this would be classified as an intergeneric Hybrid (resulting offspring(s) between 2 species belonging to 2 different Genera of the same Subfamily) Fortunatly, whenever viable, these type of Hybrids are sterile.

                                  examples of other intergeneric Hybrids ;

                                  Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus (Hyacinth Macaw) X Ara ararauna (Blue-and-yellow Macaw) commonly known as the 'Caloshua' Hybrid Macaw ;

                                  Eolophus roseicapillus (Rose-breasted or Galah Cockatoo) X Nymphicus hollandicus (Cockatiel Parakeet) commonly named the 'Galatiel' Hybrid Cockatoo

                                  Eolophus roseicapillus (Rose-breasted or Galah Cockatoo) X Cacatua galerita (Sulphur-crested Cockatoo) Hybrid Cockatoo.

                                  Platycercus eximius (Easterned or Golden-mantled Rosella) X Psephotus haematonotus (Red-Rumped Parakeet)

                                  Best regards,
                                  Stéphane
                                  (MALE's name french equivalent of Stephen ;-) aka Tintin,
                                  Ruby Eyes Aviary.

                                  "You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
                                  - Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

                                • Roland Cristo
                                  Message 17 of 20 , Oct 22 9:06 AM
                                    What about,,,,,
                                    Red Siskin (Carduelis cucullata) x canary(Serinus canaria cross?
                                    Roland

                                    Message 18 of 20 , Oct 22 9:12 AM

                                      Hey Roland & Every Birdie,

                                      I am quite clueless as to Bird species outside Psittaciformes.

                                      --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "Roland Cristo" <rcristo@...> wrote:

                                      > What about,,,,,
                                      > Red Siskin (Carduelis cucullata) x canary(Serinus canaria cross?
                                      > Roland

                                    • Roland Cristo
                                      Message 19 of 20 , Oct 22 9:24 AM
                                        Birds in 2 diff. genera and some of the young are fertile.The Red factor canary gets its color from the siskin canary cross
                                        Roland
                                        I am quite clueless as to Bird species outside Psittaciformes.

                                        Best regards,
                                        Stéphane
                                        (MALE's name french equivalent of Stephen ;-) aka Tintin,
                                        Ruby Eyes Aviary.

                                        "You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
                                        - Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

                                        --- In Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com, "Roland Cristo" <rcristo@...> wrote:

                                        > What about,,,,,
                                        > Red Siskin (Carduelis cucullata) x canary(Serinus canaria cross?
                                        > Roland

                                      • Monica M.C.
                                        Message 20 of 20 , Oct 28 11:34 AM
                                          I haven't heard if any of the hybrids you've mentioned are sterile or not, but it's not necessarily something I would doubt. However, I do know of an intergeneric hybrid that is fertile.

                                          Aratinga solstitialis (Sun Conure) x Nandayus nenday (Nanday Conure) Hybrids. Thus far, I know of 2nd generation hybrids that are 25% Nanday, 75% Sun's. The mother is a nansun. The album for these hybrids is below.

                                          http://pets.webshots.com/album/563262429xyFbYl

                                          It would however, be interesting to know, if the first generation males are fertile or sterile.

                                          To: Genetics-Psittacine@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: tintin_montreal1972@...
                                          Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:52:54 +0000

[...]

                                          Windows 7: I wanted more reliable, now it's more reliable. Wow!